Anyone Have A Clue As To What This Might Be?

I have had this for many years, not even sure where I found it, I think the point was sticking up in my driveway in Georgia. The pics don't do it justice, it looks kind of like quartz, but is a beautiful deep purple, at one time I thought it might be Amethyst, but I have never seen any this dark. If you shine a light on it, there are bright red speckles inside....

amethyst2.jpg

amethyst3.jpg

amethyst4.jpg

12 hours ago, Diggin' It said:

The pics don't do it justice,

Is there any way to take a picture as you shine a flashlight through it from the back side of it.

That would help a lot to identify it.

• Like 1

Think "Candling eggs", link below.

I forgot to say you need to take the picture in a darkened room, so the light comes from the item (rock), you dont need glass if the hole in the box is just tight on the rock's base. Maybe a cardboard roll tube (toilet roll tube) could be used at the end of a torch to hold the rock and use a box to sit the torch through the top to hold the torch, dark room and take the picture. The idea is to confine the light source to only the base of the rock.

I'm sure you will work it out.

After seeing this new picture of your item I would have to say for sure that it is amethyst.

You have the typical color change which is common with such samples, and the darker more pronounced purple is the higher quality of the stone.

Congratulations on your find.

• Like 1