XP Deus 2 Vs Minelab Equinox 800 Depth Test Emi Under Control

11 hours ago, burlguy said:

No... Thats never my intent or my thought process. You have done way too much for the community and I have contributed very little. I thought it was open mic...

But I do like to think outside the box and this has done very well for me. 

It is burl, and my apologies. I’m just burned out on the Deus 2 as a subject, so canceled my order, and am getting back to what I know and love best… gold prospecting. Best of luck to everyone with their new detectors. :smile:

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It is burl, and my apologies. I’m just burned out on the Deus 2 as a subject, so canceled my order, and am getting back to what I know and love best… gold prospecting. Best of luck to everyone with their new detectors. :smile:

Yep. SNR control.

13 hours ago, burlguy said:

I do like to think outside the box....

15 hours ago, burlguy said:

Sufficient processing power will be needed, perhaps we will see quantum detectors?

That sounds more than just outside the box.

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

That sounds more than just outside the box.

I owned USdronerepair and for 3 years modified DJI drones to not fly away by increasing the gain of the GPS module and remedying the onboard cross talk and EMI. I kind of single handedly transformed the consumer drone industry. 

I have some experience and unfortunately sometimes think too big, detectors are a whole different ballgame and require much more software implementation and this is something I have nearly zero experience with.

On 2/20/2022 at 11:35 AM, abenson said:

Jeff PM'd me and told me how bad the video was. I knew it was going to be bad with the EMI issue and I wanted people to see what reality is using the Deus 2 in the city. Out on my relic sites away from power lines, it is very quiet. I have a park about 3 miles from me that I can't even use the Equinox in unless I run the Sensitivity down to 18. I took the Deus 2 there a few days ago and I have to run the sensitivity down into the high 60's to get it quiet. For me and the soil I have, single frequency is really not an option. I literally get 4" on a dime with single frequency. You'll see in this next video the Deus 2 still gets about the same depth with the EMI under control. So a 6" dime with accurate ID is way better than the Deus 1 at 4" in my dirt. 

You may know this already, but if I have emi issues with my nox and know where it’s emanating from, I’ll point my coil directly at that source when noise canceling it.  It makes a difference rather than just holding the coil at knee or waist height like it says in the manual. Have you tried this with the deus?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NCtoad said:

You may know this already, but if I have emi issues with my nox and know where it’s emanating from, I’ll point my coil directly at that source when noise canceling it.  It makes a difference rather than just holding the coil at knee or waist height like it says in the manual. Have you tried this with the deus?

Yes right at the power lines to no avail.

One problem with the video is the camera being mounted right there by the speak. EMI sounds much worse than if the camera was further away. That being said if you watch a lot of the Deus 2 videos you'll hear EMI issues that people don't address. I feel it's more common than people think in the US. How much silent EMI is affecting the Deus 2 we don't even hear?

On 2/20/2022 at 7:05 PM, burlguy said:

Taking a constant environmental sample away from the transmit and receive signal could go a long way in reducing this. Offsetting frequency is not nearly enough for most situations. I am sure its being worked on, in fact I know its being worked on.

Subtraction of data from white gaussian noise is how are cutting edge long distance radar is now identifying threats. We may see something similar where EMI is no longer a problem but a way of helping define targets. Sufficient processing power will be needed, perhaps we will see quantum detectors?

In my experience, EMI is never constant. Sometimes my Equinox seems to get blasted out of nowhere so I run it at 12 to 15 sensitivity. Other times, I can run 23-25 no problem. And I presume the EMI hitting my Equinox is different each time...it sure does sound that way, at least.

So maybe it's not possible to remove the constant environmental signal for a metal detector. Or maybe it is, but involves using tech that Codan/Minelab only wants sold to military clients?

This may be totally irrelevant, but could some of the EMI issues in videos be caused by the video camera, specially those that stream with wifi or bluetooth enabled? Just a random thought.

• Like 1