XP Deus 2 Vs Minelab Equinox 800 Depth Test Emi Under Control

46 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

This may be totally irrelevant, but could some of the EMI issues in videos be caused by the video camera, specially those that stream with wifi or bluetooth enabled? Just a random thought.

With the GoPro I'm using, NO. Cell phone doesn't appear to cause any issues either. Other cameras I have no idea. I know the majority of the EMI I'm experiencing is from both overhead and under ground power lines. Which unfortunately are all over in our cities.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/22/2022 at 1:09 PM, abenson said:

With the GoPro I'm using, NO. Cell phone doesn't appear to cause any issues either. Other cameras I have no idea. I know the majority of the EMI I'm experiencing is from both overhead and under ground power lines. Which unfortunately are all over in our cities.

Andrew,

I've found that my cell phone does interfere with my Equinox. I hunt with my cell phone completely off.  I'm typically hunting in Park1, no disc. Sensitivity max or as close as i can get it.

I first noticed this quite some time ago when i found a deeper keeper in a park and decided to send a pic to a friend for a little "look what I found" message and turned on my cell phone for the pic.  My 800, which had been silent immediately started chattering and continued chattering while i took the pic. 

Aside from being ON, my cell phone had the WiFi AND the Bluetooth enabled. The Wifi connects to my house and the Bluetooth my car. I turned off both bluetooth and WiFi and the chattering continued. I turned off the cell phone and the trouble cleared.  I've continued to notice this when i stop to take pics during a hunt. So, I continue to hunt with the cell phone OFF.

I don't recall whether i tried airplane mode or not.

A side benefit is that i don't get interrupted by calls or text Dings while i'm hunting.  Really allows me to focus.   LOL

Rich

Rich

Tried my cell phone off and on today with both the Equinox and the Deus 2. Didn't see any difference in EMI with either machine. Might be phone model specific in your case.

• Like 2

I think so too, my phone only interferes with my Nox if I have it right near the control pod to film the screen or something like that, generally I get no issues at all if it is stored in my pocket while I'm detecting.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 3:35 PM, burlguy said:

Why the heck there is not an EMI receive coil built into the controller to cancel out EMI leaves my mind boggled. Sure the detector may lose some depth or targets occasionally but it would silence most of this flute insanity.

It's certainly possible to implement a spectrum analyzer into a detector circuit, with real-time air space analysis and automate channel selection based on the cleanest channels available. 

I'm not really sure what kind of intelligence is built into the manual noise cancel on say the Equinox and Legend, but I'd assume some rudimentary spectrum analysis.

• Like 1

...in the case of Emi visualization .. Rutus has taken the biggest step so far with its  Atrex  ...in this area ...you can very quickly Ideitify even pulse Emi and make a correction Frequency / Multifrequency / ..

..but in many cases .. the automatic noise cancel systems themselves at Equinox .. are effective enough to eliminate permanent Emi ..

..repeating Emi for automatic Noise cancel can be harder to eliminate ..

one of the good options is to use a smaller coil ... but for Equinox  lack a smaller 8-9 "coil .. but you can still use a small 6" or 5X10 "coil ..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMG-20211008-WA0015.jpg

• Like 2