Has Anyone Used The 10x5 With The 800 For Gold?

Valens Legacy

I would like to find out how the 10 x 5 has worked out on the 800 to find gold and is it any better than the stock 11 inch coil.

Since i have had so much bad weather and now rising creeks I have not had a chance to use anything yet.

So if you have used the 10 x 5 on the 800 please let me know how you liked it.

Yep, I bought the Coiltek 10x5" for that purpose, compared to the 11" it's a bit more sensitive and a bit deeper on smaller nuggets, it has quite a sensitive nose and tail and they're the most sensitive part on the smallest nuggets and give the most depth on really little ones with the center of the coil becoming the deepest as targets get bigger.

The sensitive nose is handy if you detect in rocky areas as you can get it places the 6" can't go, by that I mostly mean the 6" is the deepest on tiny targets at the center of the coil where as the 10x5" is deepest on the tiny nuggets at the nose of the coil which is skinny and can get into smaller places.

Overall I prefer the 6" round for prospecting when it comes to tiny gold in bedrock unless in really rocky areas, the 10x5" is good though.

I filmed this little video when I first got the Coiltek, it's more to point out the hot spots on the coils, and might help explain what I said above.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, phrunt said:

Yep, I bought the Coiltek 10x5" for that purpose, compared to the 11" it's a bit more sensitive and a bit deeper on smaller nuggets, it has quite a sensitive nose and tail and they're the most sensitive part on the smallest nuggets and give the most depth on really little ones with the center of the coil becoming the deepest as targets get bigger.

The sensitive nose is handy if you detect in rocky areas as you can get it places the 6" can't go, by that I mostly mean the 6" is the deepest on tiny targets at the center of the coil where as the 10x5" is deepest on the tiny nuggets at the nose of the coil which is skinny and can get into smaller places.

Overall I prefer the 6" round for prospecting when it comes to tiny gold in bedrock unless in really rocky areas, the 10x5" is good though.

I filmed this little video when I first got the Coiltek, it's more to point out the hot spots on the coils, and might help explain what I said above.

That was a good experiment Simon, and I found similar results with mine.  I always use the 6-inch over the Coiltek, and have even considered selling it.  But you do have a good point, that tip would be useful in several situations such as getting it down between cobble on a stream bottom, and sensing a bit deeper under boulders and in narrow crevices and ledges.

As for using the 11 inch coil for gold, it certainly does sense things deeper than the Coiltek or the 6 inch, and it can pick up small stuff, but most likely not as well as the other two can. I’m pretty amazed with its performance though, I found a pulltab in a sandy stream bottom over a foot and a half down once that the Coiltek missed, that was impressive.

• Like 3

Yes, the great thing about the Equinox is just how good on gold the 11" coil is, on anything other than really tiny gold the 11" is remarkably deep, still one of my deepest ever bits of gold at just over a gram has been with the Equinox and I use a GPX and GPZ, given I'm in mild soils.

The 11' will hit absolutely tiny gold too, just with a bit less depth on it than the smaller coils.  I think it'd surprise people who haven't used it how good even the 15x12" coil is on small gold.

It's a really good gold detector.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, phrunt said:

Simon,

Thanks for the video and your assessment between the 2 coils. I have only had time to use the 10 x 5 on an old soccer field  for a few minutes before it turned cold.

Now that the weather is starting to change again I am planning a few hunts in neighboring creeks where I will have my sluices setup and try to locate some gold nuggets with the metal detector.

This year is going to be one of those years where I know I can get out there and have some fun.

Once again thank you for your input and video.

• Like 1