What Is The Percent Of Male To Female Metal Detectorists?

TreasureHunter5

What is the percent of male and female metal detectorists?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a male of female metal detectorist?

Recently, I have been trying to persuade my wife into coming out metal detecting with me. She has repeatedly told me that metal detecting is a man’s hobby, and that women don’t usually go out metal detecting. So here I am today to see what the percentage is to hopefully prove her wrong and get her to come with me. 

• Like 2

You've been warned, don't open up that can of worms!!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, TreasureHunter5 said:

Recently, I have been trying to persuade my wife into coming out metal detecting with me. She has repeatedly told me that metal detecting is a man’s hobby, and that women don’t usually go out metal detecting. So here I am today to see what the percentage is to hopefully prove her wrong and get her to come with me. 

Show her YouTube videos of all the different girls detecting

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/21/2022 at 7:42 PM, schoolofhardNox said:

Show her YouTube videos of all the different girls detecting

Choose the right videos, though. Some are less about detecting and more about..."showing off" the star of the video.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

If I had to guess, I'd say for every 100 more-than-casual detectorists in the United States, about 10-15 are women or those who identify as the female gender.

A good proxy would be to watch the Garrett annual hunt videos. You'll notice that female detectorists are not rare.

• Like 2

In our metal detecting club in Topeka, Kansas, we have about 67 active club members and of those there are 16 that metal detect and contribute on the regular.  

• Like 2

I wouldn't expect this site to be representative of the distribution of male & female detectorists.  The local clubs (like Jason has mentioned) are a better proxy.

• Like 3

On 2/23/2022 at 7:35 PM, GB_Amateur said:

I wouldn't expect this site to be representative of the distribution of male & female detectorists.  The local clubs (like Jason has mentioned) are a better proxy.

I agree. It’s more a poll of forum membership, not reflective of what you see at clubs. These forums started with a gold prospecting, and that metal detecting niche does run heavily male. There are only a few gals out seriously chasing gold nuggets. As in I can count them on both hands.

My wife went detecting with me once, 30 years ago. That was the end of that. But she really likes me doing it, tells me not to come home without gold! :smile:

• Like 4