What Is The Percent Of Male To Female Metal Detectorists?

TreasureHunter5

What is the percent of male and female metal detectorists?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a male of female metal detectorist?

From what I've seen over the years, it's currently about a 10:1 ratio men:women, up from 50:1 years ago. This is for general metal detecting at parks and beaches. Relic hunters are more like 30:1, and prospectors even higher. When it comes to divers, I have yet to see a woman doing it. I'm sure there are some out there, but, just never ran across one.

Women in general have more common sense than men do which is why you see fewer women than men participating in this hobby. 

strick

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Thanks 1

From my experience, cudamark is close to the % I am aware of. I was the Sec./Treasurer of a detecting club for several years and a member for 25 or so and lady detectorists averaged 10% and occasionally would see 15% percent in attendance at our meetings and club hunts. Only 2 or 3 at any given time were husband/wife teams. A couple were widows and another 2 or 3 detected but their husbands didn't. HH Jim Tn

• Like 1

Thanks for your input. Maybe I will show her a few videos of girls metal detecting. I will not force her to go with me if she doesn’t want to I guess.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Id say the 10:1 ratio is about right.  I detect in England and its usually me and maybe 1 other women out of 20 guys.  Sometimes Ive been the only women out of 15 guy.  I have have no problem getting down in the dirt.  Just as long as I get a hot bath and comfy bed to sleep in.  Yes, we are a rare breed !!!!

HH

Donna(NJ)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hi. I got my husband started in MD in 1988. Women clean up dirt all their lives so they don't relish the idea of going out looking for it,ha,ha! What you need to do is find yourself a nice ring she would like, bury it somewhere close to the house and then get her to just "try" and look around for the fun of it. When she finds it, that will be it! If that doesn't give her the bug...it never will. Just make sure she never knows you seeded the yard. Good luck.

• Haha 3

Both my grown daughters detect, usually with me on visits home. My wife has gone also a few times.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well.....I wish you the very best of luck on getting your wife involved.  Mine has ZEEEEEROOOOOO interest in the hobby. I've got 2 Whites Spectrum XLTs (a rainbow and an e-series) and I bought a Coinmaster Pro...for anyone that wants to go with me,  ut doesn't want to earned their PHD in Rockey Surgery trying to wade through the Spectrum's "involved" owner's manual and frustrating learning curve. 

But nobody wants to go do the "old mans hobby" with me. "I mean, it's 'cool and all, Dad...but I don't feel like just digging up trash", said my 22 year old son. Today's kids don't have the patience or attention spanks to treasure hunt. 

So now my toe being dipped back into the water at 51, after a 15 year hiatus, hasbplace me back into a hobby that none of my family will do with me. Just doesn't seem as fun as I thought it was going to be, I guess. 

Didn't mean to "poop in your pool", lol, just spitting some facts on how women rarely want to do the hobby. But...yours may be that Double Eagle, in a sea of corroded zinc pennies. Good luck!

DeJa