ID Help On This Token-ish Thing Please

Dug this earlier this week.  My guesses are thinks like locker ID token, safe box token, but cant find anything that looks close yet...any ideas? 1cent for sizing.

20220222_112200.jpg

20220222_112136.jpg

• Like 4

Cool find! I would guess it's a key marker for a safety deposit box at an old Savings & Loan Bank, but I couldn't find anything either. Is there a town name nearby that starts with an S or L? It could have been a company bank too. Were there any large companies, like mining, logging, or land companies, etc nearby? They often had their own banks and savings & loan operations.

• Like 3

It think it's more likely a tag not a token. Could have gone to any number of things. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Againstmywill said:

Assuming it was found in Pennsylvania, but what town was it found in or around? Maybe S.S.L. Savings Bank?

i wish it was that simple.  I found a list of all 774 banks inactive in PA since inception..nothing matches.  but nice thought.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Looks like a work check tag.  We find them in old mining ghost towns. 

I've even worn one of those at a mine (legitimately).  I haven't found one detecting but I have found a couple swimming pool basket tags (for when you check your clothes into storage).  S.L.S.S.B is the key to unlocking this mystery.  If there's a nearby historical society, that would be a good place to inquire.

The condition seems surprisingly good for coming from the ground.  Maybe its an inert alloy, though, and of course it could have been dropped recently.  Recovery depth would be an indicator of how long ago it was dropped.  @rod-pa , how deep was it?

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 10:01 PM, rod-pa said:

I found a list of all 774 banks inactive in PA since inception..nothing matches.  but nice thought.

Maybe it was from an out of state bank, just saying.

They do use tags like that at a local coal mine, something to think about.

First thought was a Tool tag - used by workers for checking out tools.  A key fob of some kind makes sense as well.  I have some of the railroad luggage tags. The ones i've found have a slit for a leather strap rather than a punched hole. 

Always nice to find something other than same old coins. 

Rich