ID Help On This Token-ish Thing Please

12 hours ago, UtahRich said:

Always nice to find something other than same old coins.  (emphasis mine)

Says a guy who's found every Lincoln Cent date+mm ever minted.  :biggrin:

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Says a guy who's found every Lincoln Cent date+mm ever minted.  :biggrin:

LOL. 

Almost - still have a hole in the 22 plain. And last i recall, there is 1 easy one that i just haven't stumbled upon yet or perhaps missed and tossed in the jar. Been lucky enough to find the hard ones though, some in multiples. Being in Utah, we seem to have benefitted from both San Francisco and Denver mints. 

I don't want to appear ungrateful for the old coins i do find, especially as we move further down the road and most of the 'old coin sites i visit have been hunted so many times by myself and others that ANY keepers needs to be appreciated.  I imagine most of you feel the same way.

It is always nice to have some research or exploration pay off with a site less visited that produces a handful of keepers and brings back recollections of the early days.  

Rich- 

• Like 3

On 2/25/2022 at 9:38 AM, GB_Amateur said:

I've even worn one of those at a mine (legitimately).  I haven't found one detecting but I have found a couple swimming pool basket tags (for when you check your clothes into storage).  S.L.S.S.B is the key to unlocking this mystery.  If there's a nearby historical society, that would be a good place to inquire.

The condition seems surprisingly good for coming from the ground.  Maybe its an inert alloy, though, and of course it could have been dropped recently.  Recovery depth would be an indicator of how long ago it was dropped.  @rod-pa , how deep was it?

It was only 3 or 4 inches.  Found it in a small area of poor ground with almost no grass.  Found it in the same hole as a wheat, a center fire cartridge and a plastic head with top hat.  Within 3 three foot diameter also an 1870 Indian and a barber dime.  The name of the town is Schwenksville.  I get the feeling from the neighbor that the area I am.searching was used for 18th and 18th century industry, and the ground may have been graded when that ended and the house was built. I've been looking for more historical records.  I havent dug much stuff very deep...too many targets.

Cal, can you elaborate on work tags?

11 hours ago, rod-pa said:

It was only 3 or 4 inches.  Found it in a small area of poor ground with almost no grass.

Grass (when it decays) is responsible for much of depth where I live.  Bare ground can result from different causes, most of which lead to finds not being particularly deep.  (One exception is recent back-filling/regrading.  :angry:)  With the the coincidence of 19th Century coins you found, this could be as old as those.  I've found old items near the surface in areas where old residences were torn down, too, e.g. a civil war coat button..