Newbie Question On Target ID In And Out Of Sand On Beach

DanU

The Deus II is my first machine.  Made it out to the beach today for the second time.  Total Newbie with a lot to learn.  I am noticing that sometimes when I find a target, the TID number in the ground and once dug out are different.  For example, one of my targets turned out to be a 5/16 Stainless Bolt with 2 Washers & Bolt.  In the Sand, about 5 inches or so, it was reading 79-80.  Once out it was reading 69.  Is this common for the TID's to be different when buried?

Dan,

Welcome to the forum and to metal detecting with your new Deus 2.

Unfortunately, what you are experiencing with changing TID numbers is very common.  Metal items have a basic ID# that changes very little when testing in the air.  That all becomes different when a target is in the ground and something causes small to large inaccuracies or shifts when the detector IDs the object.

Ground mineralization, SALT, like at the beach, and other factors can skew TID when an item is in the ground by a good amount.  Other factors can be corrosion, like on the bolt with washers you found, that gets left in the ground after you dig up the target so the bolt is now seen differently by the machine.  Also, there can be something near the dug item that's away from it after your target is retrieved that no longer skews the ID of the detector.  

The TID display of detectors is just a guide.  It will be good at giving a general idea of what's under the coil, but isn't perfect.  Sometimes a detector will indicate something is better than it actually turns about to be, and also the reverse and you get a pleasant surprise when digging up an iffy signal.  

The best course is to do a lot of digging and become familiar with you new Deus 2.  After time, you'll get a pretty good idea of what's under the coil, though things will never be certain, even for the experts.  Sometimes in an area with other detectorists, targets with poor TID can be the "good" targets that are left since they tend to get ignored more often.  Put your sand scoop to use and DIG a lot!   Best of luck and remember to have fun out there.  

• Like 5

Thank you.  Great explanation.  It amazes me how much there is to learn in a hobby that on the surface seems simple.  I have many hours watching videos but just now getting hands on.  I wish my hearing was better, I have a hard time separating tones but can tell the difference in volume.  Steady at it.  

• Like 1