Simplex Vdi Scale For United States Targets

Can anyone point me to a good VDI scale for Simplex for typical US targets?

I found some tables I can reference but was wondering if there is a common scale out there on the web maybe laid out vertically across their scale or if someone has already done this? 

Like for example, I like how Minelab in their manual for Equinox and Vanquish provide a scale for targets and VDIs common for various countries.  

56D8DBFF-5F50-46CF-ADED-7C72933EBB1E.thumb.jpeg.8bf89e1ef62e080959aa4dd11fc1cf03.jpeg

VDI scales are only accurate for very shallow coins or for air tests with the coin about an 1" or more from the coil especially using DD coils. Swing speed, getting the coil centered over the target, soil moisture levels, depth and mineralization levels can really skew single frequency detector VDI numbers on detectors like the Simplex, Kruzer, Deus 1, F75 etc.

The best way to find out what VDI numbers are is to do it yourself........

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 3:21 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

The best way to find out what VDI numbers are is to do it yourself........

I don't think the other tables out there did themselves.....  I understand your point but just looking for other reference and I am going to essentially do my own testing.  I've not found one for the Simplex as nice as available from some of the other manufacturers.

I also disagree as the tables from from the manufacturers provide a range or at least a good centered number for that range for reference.  The Minelab table we all know says 13 is a nickel.  We also all know those will range 11-14 possibly.  I'll dig 12-13 signal all day long at much more than an inch for nickels.  

Anyway, not sure why everyone that has special "mineralized" soil in their area thinks everyone else does and all the information provided by detector or reference material is useless...  I don't even ground balance in in my area and can trust the tables and detectors for the most part.

Here is a first pass at one based on the manual information for the different modes and tone breaks.  Also added common US clad approximate range.  I intend to add a couple more items for reference 

Not sure if it is common knowledge but is there a reason/situation where Park 2 is best suited over Park 1 on Simplex? 

When compared to other entry level coin/jewelry detectors I have, the Park 1 tone breaks seem to most closely match.  Just curious if Park 2 is best suited for common European coins.  That is my only guess at this time.

895567310_SimplexScale_ToneBreaks.JPG.316ba24e82566868e3cf7782ef8b97d6.JPG

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Simplex Vdi Scale For United States Targets
14 hours ago, nickeldNdimed said:

I don't think the other tables out there did themselves.....  I understand your point but just looking for other reference and I am going to essentially do my own testing.  I've not found one for the Simplex as nice as available from some of the other manufacturers.

I also disagree as the tables from from the manufacturers provide a range or at least a good centered number for that range for reference.  The Minelab table we all know says 13 is a nickel.  We also all know those will range 11-14 possibly.  I'll dig 12-13 signal all day long at much more than an inch for nickels.  

Anyway, not sure why everyone that has special "mineralized" soil in their area thinks everyone else does and all the information provided by detector or reference material is useless...  I don't even ground balance in in my area and can trust the tables and detectors for the most part.

You asked for a standardized VDI chart for the Simplex and are comparing the lack of one to the Equinox.

The Equinox in multi has very dependable and consistent target IDs in most soil conditions on US coins at different depths depending on mineralization. I have hunted in many types of ground mineralization and those VDIs have been very reliable in most places down to site specific edge of detection depth. Target ID accuracy using the Equinox single frequencies are very inconsistent and all over the map depending again on depth and mineralization levels

The Simplex being a single frequency detector has accurate target IDs if ground conditions are favorable down to depths which again are ground mineralization dependent. At a certain depth, which is different for different locations, the Simplex target IDs can be up averaged or dragged down into the iron range very quickly and like the Equinox in single frequency, are very inaccurate.

So, comparing the Equinox using Multi IQ and the Simplex using 12 kHz as far as dependable target IDs is definitely apples to oranges in my opinion and the reliability of VDI charts for both detectors is also very different.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

You asked for a standardized VDI chart for the Simplex and are comparing the lack of one to the Equinox.

The Equinox in multi has very dependable and consistent target IDs in most soil conditions on US coins at different depths depending on mineralization. I have hunted in many types of ground mineralization and those VDIs have been very reliable in most places down to site specific edge of detection depth. Target ID accuracy using the Equinox single frequencies are very inconsistent and all over the map depending again on depth and mineralization levels

The Simplex being a single frequency detector has accurate target IDs if ground conditions are favorable down to depths which again are ground mineralization dependent. At a certain depth, which is different for different locations, the Simplex target IDs can be up averaged or dragged down into the iron range very quickly and like the Equinox in single frequency, are very inaccurate.

So, comparing the Equinox using Multi IQ and the Simplex using 12 kHz as far as dependable target IDs is definitely apples to oranges in my opinion and the reliability of VDI charts for both detectors is also very different.

Jeff, I appreciate your opinion on the nuances of target IDs and the apparent superiority of Equinox multi frequency in that regard but I only used Equinox/Vanquish as an example I liked, not for comparison as this is the wrong forum for that... I believe that most people that frequent this forum or have used a detector know or soon figure this out.  Again, I was just looking to see if any good reference existed for Simplex that I may have missed on quick search and review of manual.

Various examples exist of single frequency detectors that all also provide some reference to common US coins. I suspect that Simplex does not have one in manual due to it being more internationally targeted detector than common US manufacturers but even Minelab took a stab at it.

Note, Minelab also uses a significantly different compressed scale of -9 to 40 instead of 0-99 that help reduce that variation on the screen and perception that may also vary widely depending on other factors and if you just doubled the scale and resolution of the available numbers. I’m not arguing the ability of the detector to do this better at depth or mineralized ground or whatever, just highlighting that is not all that is at play here....

C6742BE5-222F-4397-BC6E-952BEAC8CD12.jpeg

3E184FF0-40D0-45E3-B769-AF3B595BB61A.jpeg

CAA7110C-EB71-4630-B040-7BEEFAA6537D.jpeg

2A08ADF9-5A01-46C5-B3C3-C4EAFE3F4D9C.jpeg

On 2/25/2022 at 2:35 PM, nickeldNdimed said:

Can anyone point me to a good VDI scale for Simplex for typical US targets?

I found some tables I can reference but was wondering if there is a common scale out there on the web maybe laid out vertically across their scale or if someone has already done this? 

Like for example, I like how Minelab in their manual for Equinox and Vanquish provide a scale for targets and VDIs common for various countries.  

56D8DBFF-5F50-46CF-ADED-7C72933EBB1E.thumb.jpeg.8bf89e1ef62e080959aa4dd11fc1cf03.jpeg

There’s a couple made by end users. 2C4BD72B-7694-452A-8BC7-255CDC1EFC4D.png.2ba103b147dbfd0debe5cbbc67b11f82.png79A2300A-84D2-49A2-82BD-98653D13D576.jpeg.a713f6bc4e1170cdb60811e7358f8933.jpeg

• Like 2