Here Is How They Did It In The 1840's In Dahlonega, Georgia

Would have been nice to see the finished product....

• Like 3

My buddy found a U.S. $5 gold coin at a trading post site we found, and it was an 1849 D mint mark.  After he saw the mint mark he exclaimed it was from Denver.   I told him nope Denver didn't have a mint in 1849, it was Dahlonega. 

• Like 4

On 2/26/2022 at 11:20 AM, locator said:

Hello GB_Amateur. This video was very helpful to me in understanding the process.

I knew how this process works already...but I thoroughly enjoyed the video!

There is one bit that is untrue....the reason the gold bars are tapered, he said it was so a man couldn't grip it easily to pick it up.....why would anyone be worried about someone picking it up, it had to be picked up to move it around, the true reason was so that the bar would drop out of the mold easily after the bar was poured and cooled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Gold Seeker said:

I knew how this process works already...but I thoroughly enjoyed the video!

There is one bit that is untrue....the reason the gold bars are tapered, he said it was so a man couldn't grip it easily to pick it up.....why would anyone be worried about someone picking it up, it had to be picked up to move it around, the true reason was so that the bar would drop out of the mold easily after the bar was poured and cooled.

Thanks for the correction, Gold Seeker.👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, locator said:

Thanks for the correction, Gold Seeker.👍

The tapered bars are "casted" bars poured into a one piece mold, there are also bars that aren't tapered but they are from either 2 piece molds, or gold that has been ran through a press into uniformed thickness and width and then cut into uniform bars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1