CTX For Gold Rings

phrunt

Simon... I didn't read all your responses to your question.  I will add this, Back when I was coin shooting with my etrac (same as ctx for the most part)the gold rings I found were all by accident when I thought I was digging a nickel signal.  I believe a large portion of the gold rings might fall right in the nickel range but not all depending on purity, size, etc? If I was going to target gold rings specifically I'd probably make a pattern around the nickel range and maybe open it up some?  11, 12, 13, 14 (if I remember right?) but then you'll scrim out other good stuff. I'm not familiar with the ctx but do know there's some fancy ways to set it up. Personally when I coin shoot with the etrac I generally hunt open screen to hear all targets and dig by the #'s. Whatever you do, I'd leave that nickel range open....

good luck

• Thanks 1

Thanks, at the start because it has such accurate Target ID's I thought I could turn it into the ultimate lazy mans silent detector that only beeps when I hit a target I want, in theory it is capable of doing this, if the targets are shallow.

It has brilliant target ID capabilities in ferrous coin mode but the moment you start blocking out a lot of ranges on the discrimination the depth fizzles out, once I'd set up my super NZ silver coin profile it no longer had the depth to even find a silver coin around here.

The good coins are all pretty deep so in the end I can't have my super NZ coin profile setup, I just have to run with the bottom right corner notched out and leave the rest wide open then I get the desired depth and it just means looking at the screen a lot more (not easy in the bright sun) and using my tones to decide if I want to look at the screen 😉

One thing I have found is by using the 17x13" coil my super NZ coins profile is more viable, because that coil is naturally deeper because of its size the discrimination isn't as damaging with it, the 11" loses a lot of depth as of course does the 6".  I can pick up the common depth silvers with the 17x13" in my high disc mode but I'm worried even using the 17" with that much discrimination in case I miss something even deeper that's good. 

It's a shame as on my Nox I can use discrimination without losing any noticeable depth.  I was hoping the CTX would be the same, it's certainly not.

I've found with the CTX I don't have the circle targets as much to get the ID to come good, often with the Nox you often have to hit a very deep coin from the right angle for it to correctly identify the coin so you have to investigate everything that beeps.  With the CTX I can hit the same coins at any angle and they're good ID's.  I think because of this I'm finding more good targets as I didn't always investigate every single target with the Nox, not even close.

In saying that, it's proving to be an excellent silver machine on ground the Nox had started to get very difficult to find a silver with, the CTX is still regularly getting silvers when supplies dried up with the Nox.  They make a good team, my two favourite coin detectors, if I had to pick one I'd still pick the Nox, as it's more multi purpose and it's gold prospecting side is very appealing to me and I think it does better on gold targets over all, including rings.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2022 at 2:18 PM, phrunt said:

I stumbled across this which is the exact information I've been looking for.

https://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,37325,37325#msg-37325

Over 90 gold ring jewellery numbers.

Indeed the 12 row is the one you should get excited about.  I think from now on I'll dig anything in the 12's, possibly the 11's too. 

I did a frequency graph of the CO numbers on that data. Left hand data is qty found of the bottom data CO numbers.

As you can see rings are all over the place, but in this sample you can see what the most frequent CO number are.

image.thumb.png.f2fb0cb83682222d2bc8f0cdad9226c9.png

On 2/27/2022 at 2:18 PM, phrunt said:

I

duplicate post in error

I also found this video on filters vs depth. You may already know this, but others might not.

Basically the more you add in discrim and other filters, you lower the processing power available for depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufosya8GhEk

Now if minelab would come out with a CTX9090 with the processing power of the Nox 800 that would really be a machine. And Minelab engineers please don't monkey with anything else on the basic CTX design and mess it up. Well maybe make the sucker about 1.5 lbs.

• Like 1