Audio Muting Question: High Pass Filter

Below is an example of the device I'm referring to.  Will this work if placed between the detector and the headphones or does it only work if placed in front of an amplifier?  By 'work' I mean does it attenuate lower frequencies without much effect on the higher frequencies?

1661801542_Screenshotat2022-02-26085840.thumb.png.a80992cd329517365495d19109a91cfa.png

2 hours ago, tboykin said:

Most detector beeps are simple waveforms between 100-1000hz. What affect are you trying to achieve with this filter?

Quieting but preferably not eliminating the lowest tone (typically the ferrous region) on a multi-tone setting on a detector that otherwise doesn't give you this option.

The idea is good .... but I'm afraid this bandpass filter will only work with the line input -... and not with the headphones output ...

the bandpass filter might work well in combination with a wireless transmitter .. where it would help cut low frequencies..before entering the transmitter ..

The truth is currently a simple 2-3 band equalizer for detecting a really mistake which we could use to cut low but loud tons of iron .. to an acceptable level.

one of the other options is to choose headphones  with limited bass transmission ...

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, EL NINO77 said:

one of the other options is to choose headphones  with limited bass transmission ...

Got any specific options?  Any headphones made for detecting that have this feature?

I would try some  wired headphones.. without highlighted basses ...

I use wireless  Sennheisers RS 160 ... which have soft basses .. and I'm happy with them ..

• Like 3

Those will Attenuate (cut back) frequencies below the 200Hz cut off point. Depending on the cut off slope (probably 3dB per octave?) so even if it was at the same level ,,,not too much closer to the 200 and the lower Hz more.  Leave 'em in the cart and try less bass heavy phones like suggested ^ which may or may not be different in your favor... The Quincy Jones signature AKGs I think 701's ?  are studio flat I have a set somewhere. I'll do a test with my Nox  to see if it would help ? ya . Not sure what sound profile your ears prefer so might be a personal test required... Think foamy ear cushions vs the tightly sealing ones .

A little battery powered eq (like a GTR stomper) probably wouldn't get you much closer either unless you can strap some parametrics and a generator in there somewhere !  Sorry it wasn't so simple man , I feel yer pain.

OSM sez (Old Sound Man) When in doubt hook 'er up !  it might blow , but then y'll know....skuh kuh kuh kuh Just kidding.

On a better note , some detectors can adjust the volume level of the tone segments  (nox +? )

• Like 1