First Gold With My Deus 2!

NCtoad

What's better than an old piece, covered in dust, scratched and full of history behind...Cause even a wedding band is a piece of history just more modern...As an example I fuc#!d up mine looking for gold😎

• Thanks 1

Love the Gold band! Always welcome to see that color specially unexpected!

I don't think it's older than the 40/50's..just looking at the fineness stamp. More than likely the person who lost it is in their 90's now. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Love the Gold band! Always welcome to see that color specially unexpected!

I don't think it's older than the 40/50's..just looking at the fineness stamp. More than likely the person who lost it is in their 90's now. 

That’s about the timeframe I was thinking of too.  Do you know when fineness stamps started showing up on rings?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCtoad said:

That’s about the timeframe I was thinking of too.  Do you know when fineness stamps started showing up on rings?

In 1906 the United States government passed the "National Gold and Silver Stamping Act.", however there isn't a law that actually requires that gold/silver to have a purity/quality mark..but the law does require that any gold/silver that does have a purity/quality mark MUST be fairly accurate and even more accurate since an update in 1981, and any marked gold/silver must also have a "Hallmark/Makers mark" accompanying the purity mark or the purity mark is mute and may not be accurate.

Here's a little more info...

https://www.stuller.com/articles/view/national-gold-and-silver-marking-act/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NCtoad said:

Like Goldseeker posted above, 1906/1907. But I have many that are dated the late 1800's.. earliest is 1861..my buddy Steve who lives down your way got a 1856 at one of the spots we have hunted, (Rebel metal detectors, Charleston, SC).. Seems about 60% were stamped before they passed the law..based on all I've dug...I do think the older they are the less likely they were to be stamped. As far as Hallmarks, the ratio is a lot less, unless they come from across the pond.. the best about the old gold is they loved to write script, names, dates, events. The designs and styles were stunning, compared to the gold of today. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to First Gold With My Deus 2!
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/26/2022 at 1:20 PM, NCtoad said:

I didn’t have a lot of time this morning and it’s going to rain tomorrow so I stayed close to home and hit my only old house permission.  This is the same place where I detected under the floor of the old house.  There’s around 3 acres at this site and I’m making my way to the areas farther from the house.  Today I used the D2 in program 3 except I switched to pitch and lowered the reactivity to 2.5.     I set disc at 8.5 and sensitivity to 95 and audio response to 5.  Oh, I also used the x/y screen for the first time.  My goal was to dig all good sounding targets. About an hour in I got a really nice sounding, solid 66 with a nice straight line on the graph.  About four inches down I see yellow and out pops a small 14k wedding band.  It fits my pinkie perfectly lol!   After that I tried and tried to find a coin, but didn’t find a single one.  

0597E59E-A21F-4177-A6E0-1B941819FAAB.jpeg

D86FB0FA-A3B3-444E-8F9D-22033C516151.jpeg

EC3923E5-F059-4CE8-9E84-2B29D23C526C.jpeg

EB866387-59BA-47AF-9ABE-1487ED7F6196.jpeg

912C22DE-6A14-4F0E-B257-3A76F2DCA437.jpeg

5B920EB6-CB21-4A0D-B685-4A7EEFCAC7B2.jpeg

Gold sooo sweet to find….CONGRATS!

Aaron

• Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

On 2/27/2022 at 7:02 PM, Gold Seeker said:

In 1906 the United States government passed the "National Gold and Silver Stamping Act.", however there isn't a law that actually requires that gold/silver to have a purity/quality mark..but the law does require that any gold/silver that does have a purity/quality mark MUST be fairly accurate and even more accurate since an update in 1981, and any marked gold/silver must also have a "Hallmark/Makers mark" accompanying the purity mark or the purity mark is mute and may not be accurate.

Here's a little more info...

https://www.stuller.com/articles/view/national-gold-and-silver-marking-act/

This is very interesting. Thanks for posting the info.

I have dug a example of why this law was passed. An obviously older men's cigar band wedding ring, stamped 18K. It came out of the ground black & pitted. Only a tiny bit of gold wash remained on the brass base metal. Fake when sold to the unsuspecting, a neat reminder now of past times.

• Like 2