Testing The XP Deus2 11" - Inland Hunting : Field Tests , Depth Tests Etc

palzynski

That's quite a good video as the hunting conditions and coin types mimic mine, those bronze pennys and half pennys are such easy targets and its certainly not unusual to smack on them at the depths they're testing in this video and It'd be interested to add the CTX into that test as I think it'd show them who's boss.

It's funny the guys wanders in with his Bulgarian analog looking machine, when at 14" and they're saying how great their detectors are with the Deus 2, Legend and Nox hitting on it to various degrees and his funky old looking machine just smacks on it with ease, and the guy just has a cheeky grin.

They ask him what his machine is, and he replies a Deus 3 😛  Classic.

The Nox had its usual very nice target ID's and didn't require fiddling and tweaking of settings to adjust for the target at 14", just hit it nicely in basically standard everyday settings.

At 18" the Nox and Legend were so similar with both tweaked, although he left horse shoe on with the Nox so it was blanking a lot, so with those two it'd come down to who has the biggest coil on super deep targets as the machine with the biggest coil will win.  The Bulgarian Deus 3 😛 didn't get a signal at 18" though, still cool how well it did at 14" as likely a lot cheaper of a machine.

The Relic and Gold modes on the Deus 2 sure are deep, although running it so tweaked out for depth like he was the surrounding ground was causing a lot of problems, so you'd only be able to use it that tweaked to clean up a good area going slow and focusing on the screen and sounds.  It's impressive how well it hit on the target still, but I couldn't use it like that.  Very impressive for a 9" Coil though, Imagine how good it'd be if they made big coils for it.  It's interesting gold mode is so deep on coins like that.

I think that video was a good one, showing no bias towards any detector and it was a fair test. 

• Like 4

Yes, that’s a nice comparison depth test. The bulgarian detector, it seems like a Pirate, maybe a Pirate Deep Hunter, in the test has a too high threshold: threshold in bulgarian detectors is not the classic hum but the general sensitivity which must be set with the gain. But Gain and Threshold are 2 different parameters. Anyway Legend and Nox punch deep but D2 with the 9 inch is impressive. Want to test Relic prog. on the 20” coin. Anyway nice test!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, phrunt said:

I think that video was a good one, showing no bias towards any detector and it was a fair test. 

I like Sid’s videos. He’s usually right on top of all the latest gear, and very fair, so I keep up with his channel. I too would like to see the CTX in the mix of some of these tests. I plan to start shooting some videos at some point. I don’t yet have a legend as I don’t see where I’d be gaining anything much different than I have in the Nox. Nox has never given me a bit of trouble. But I do have a Deus 2 and CTX to compare and contrast. Eventually used legends will come up at prices that are too good to refuse. So far in my soil the Deus 2 w/ 9” coil seems to have a slight depth advantage over the others with 11” coils. It is too early and too wet to tell though so far. Deus 2 will offer up to a 11”x13” coil, but many people say it offered very little, if any depth advantage over the 11” round on Deus 1 and made it awful nose heavy.

• Like 2

Happy to see that Sid's video confirms my results : RELIC/GOLD are by far the deepest D2 modes.  

However from what I have seen , Sid has just tested the Legend and Equinox Park/Field modes and NOT their gold modes ... Then it looks lke this comparison is not so fair ... Or did I miss something ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, palzynski said:

Happy to see that Sid's video confirms my results : RELIC/GOLD are by far the deepest D2 modes.  

However from what I have seen , Sid has just tested the Legend and Equinox Park/Field modes and NOT their gold modes ... Then it looks lke this comparison is not so fair ... Or did I miss something ?

You’re correct, he didn’t test each in gold mode, just what he considers each machines deepest settings. I don’t know about the Legend, but I found Field mode the deepest on Equinox. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ☠ Cipher said:

You’re correct, he didn’t test each in gold mode, just what he considers each machines deepest settings. I don’t know about the Legend, but I found Field mode the deepest on Equinox. 

Ok then these powerful GOLD/RELIC modes are a big plus for the Deus2 vs the competitors . They could be used to find deep buried coins of a coin spill for example . 

There is a similar mode called PROSPECTING on the ML Xterra 705 which works very well and goes deep. It helped me to find 2 remaining coins of a coin spill a few years ago ...

• Like 1

That is not the ultimate comparison in my opinion. If one is testing a VCO audio mode on one detector then any other detector with VCO audio should also be compared using that type of audio. Goldfield on the Legend and the two Gold modes on the Equinox are VCO single tone audio similar to Deus 2 Relic and Goldfield. Which one is deeper doesn't particularly matter to me. From any testing and actual field detecting that I have done, the Legend, Equinox, Deus 1 and ORX single tone VCO audio modes are deeper and more sensitive than any other mode on those detectors. I can't test Deus 2 yet since I don't have a 9" coil. However, not testing them head to head is puzzling.

• Like 3

There will always be people who will and won’t like a given test for their own reasons. Same in every forum https://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,184304

2 hours ago, ☠ Cipher said:

There will always be people who will and won’t like a given test for their own reasons.

I consider Jeff's "apples vs. oranges" a valid complaint, and we've been seeing this repeatedly throughout the last few months as the two new kids on the block have come out to play.  Before a couple months ago I thought I didn't know my Equinox 800 all that well.  I've since found out I know more about it than most of the people making these comparison videos.  Hell, there's stuff in the manual that contradicts what they say/show as far as setup is concerned!  And what about coil control -- the list goes on and on.

I've wondered if a good comparison video would be to have an expert (well, maybe those are difficult to find) on each detector in the video handle each different detector.  The guy who knows detector A the best should be the one who sets it up and swings it, etc.  But that still doesn't get around the different local condition issues that the viewer will have, even assuming the 'expert' knows his/her detector inside and out.

I wonder why the CTX is left out of these depth tests so often, is it that most people no longer have one, or never did?

It's just with the price of the Deus 2 another pricey detector should be thrown in the mix and well, by comparison to my Nox in my soil the CTX is the well defined king of depth even when both just using their 11" coils, it's not a maybe, it's a certainty. 

Then, if I'm testing depth on detectors I use the biggest coil they have available, why handicap the Nox with the 11" coil if it has a 15x12 and 15" on offer and slam in the CTX with it's 17x13" and then you see depth.  This is my problem with these tests, yes they're valid tests if you don't mind handicapping detectors to do the tests, if someones going out looking for deep coins they're less likely to use the 11" coil if they have a bigger one unless they're in heavy trash.  Perhaps these tests are good for identifying the detector that's deepest for trashy areas, which I guess we already know the Deus 2 is going to win there.

I liked the test, it was good as it did give information, but I'd prefer a real overall depth test, showing which detector is actually deepest.  If a video of the Deus 2 pops up with it's biggest coil of 11' showing it beat the CTX with 17x13" coil in this same sort of mild soils on a half penny like this video I'll buy one the minute I've watched the video as that's what I want and need, the Deus 2 would have to be in a usable configuration of course, not reacting to the ground all over the place even though it's mild ground just to register a hit on the target.

Yes, there are people who are located in hot soil areas, so again another test like this in hotter soils showing which detectors have the most depth then too, then it might swing back to the Equinox or Deus 2.

• Like 1