Testing The XP Deus2 11" - Inland Hunting : Field Tests , Depth Tests Etc

palzynski

2 hours ago, ☠ Cipher said:

In thinking a little deeper about it, maybe I shouldn’t be surprised that gold and relic modes would be deeper at times. It’s about as close to all metal as you’re going to get, or am I wrong on that? But I think the object was to get some sort of an ID on the object, and not just a hit. To me it was just surprising that a mode, Deep HC wasn’t deepest on deep HC. The surprise for me is because of the frequency weighting differences in those modes. 

I do think the Gold modes are as close as the Equinox can get to many detectors' 'all metal' (minimal filtered) modes, but how close -- I don't know.  Pretty sure the Equinox 800 Gold mode gives a VDI reading on all targets when no discrimination is used, and maybe when discrimination is used.  (The only time I use discrimination with the Eqx is when native gold detecting and only when the hot rocks are being a PItA.)

When coin and relic detecting I sometimes use the Gold modes to check what appear to be good (but iffy) targets in the Park and Field modes -- more specifically in Park 1 or Field 1 which is where I hunt.  It seems to give a better indication of a deep iron target (by flashing lower VDI's) than the more standard modes (as well as many single frequency detectors) which often give non-ferrous, high VDI's on that kind (and depth) of target.  But I haven't done enough in-field trials to conclude that this is really reliable so no one should take my experience so far as some kind of solid discrimination method.  Still a study in progress.

FWIW, I tend to give benefit of the doubt that people aren't intentionally deceiving but rather just making mistakes.  At the same time I have a high standard for what kinds of mistakes should be acceptable and which ones should be avoided when going public with information.  Waffle words help, though.  To state something with confidence vs. with doubt makes a big difference in my eyes.

How much do these videos impact buying decisions?  When misleading they can hurt both ways -- costing sales to the manufacturers and/or convincing buyers to get a product that doesn't deliver what they think it will.  So there is something riding on what these reviewers display.  Fortunately we here have the opportunity to see many reports/reviews and get a big picture.  The typical detector buyer (and particularly one who depends upon just YouTube) -- they may not get as clear of a view.  Caveat Emptor ("buyer beware") -- sure, but that's easier for the idealist to state than for the real life buyer to exercise.

• Like 2

You're right GB, I can only imagine how many sales of detectors Calabash and others like him that do these constant comparison and opinion videos has either influenced or prevented.   They're called influencers for a reason and can be very damaging for brands, rightly or wrongly.

It's also why brands target the large followers base Youtube influencers and try get them onside by giving them free stuff, including detectors.

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

Sure it’s nice if all can run in the same or similar settings, but in a test like this we aren’t trying to make them similar. We are trying to highlight their advantages in a particular environment, i.e. what is the deepest setup in THIS environment. For his soil, doing a depth test, he used the deepest settings. In other tests gold mode was unusable in that environment. There will always be those to who the information gleaned will not apply and other settings would be advisable. But if I want to know which machine is deepest in a very low mineralized environment this might just be helpful, particularly where one was running handicapped and at the very least keeping up, or at best if you accept these were the best settings for THIS environment, leading. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Welwood470 said:

Deep HC with disc iar?

RELIC with disc iar sorry ...

I feel like the d2 having RELIC as program name vco/allmetal/equivalent to goldfield on others stated all over this thread is why it may be used/tested and goldfield on the others were not!?      Honestly I believe most normie detectorama ladies & gents do not use goldfield ever but just might relic on D2 just because it's called RELIC!?  I may be absolutely wrong and it's very ok for anyone to even think I'm a stupidly silly manchild,I really think this is the rule and some of yall detectonerds are the exception using goldfield on nox or any other in normal hunting scenarios!? Btw I'm a on again off agian detectonerd as well but I'm not using relic or goldfield ever idc if I get +1,2,3 or 4" gains,i have only once in 4 years dug stuff deep as in 10,11" mostly 3-7" are what I see!? Never is probly a bit to strong because I would if it was a neccessary option and I have the tool D2/nox800 and I may have needed to try goldfield up toward brandy station va it was terrible with my nox800 acouple years ago! My yard is pretty tuff I'm gonna check this today but the darn audio is dreadful to me not sure I could stand it/also for some silly reason I doubt what the detectors tell me the few rare occasions I've tried!? Daylights coming I'm on it boss! Over in out I'll be back to shout it out! Loud