Did Garrett's Make Any Changes To The 24K After Taking Over White's?

I'm sure there are only a few individuals that can answer the question in the topic header with technical detail (which I'm very interested in), but I'm also interested in the observations of those that have owned both the White's 24K and the Garrett 24K

I asked that question while back in another forum and this is what  the reply said:

Garrett 24K is an updated version of the Whites 24K. It is my understanding that unlike a previous poster, Garrett did not just paint it black and slap some labels on it. They went over all of the tolerances and improved the stability of the stock coil, added a nice battery charger and some quality NiMh rechargeable batteries for less than the original Whites price. XGB ground balance system really works. Coils are very stable and fairly quiet even on some ground that only the Equinox can handle. The Whites 24K I owned previously would overload if it came anywhere near that same ground and coil knock was atrocious. Garrett 24K is actually an MXT running at 48 kHz since it has an MX7 circuit board not a GMT board. It has iron reject and discrimination options, a two tone option, a one tone VCO audio option, easy pinpointing and ground grab, follow black sand feature and a nice display that is sort of target IDs and sort of ferrous/non-ferrous probability. Easy to use, extremely sensitive and can double for coin and micro jewelry. No wireless audio or waterproofing. OK ergonomics even though it uses 8 AA batteries

• Like 3

I am not aware of any actual operating design changes. As noted above, the unit was vetted as far as electronics and coil, to be sure it was up to Garrett’s ISO 9001 standards. The coil was basically replaced with one made by Garrett. I’m not aware of what, if any, changes were made as far as internal components. Obviously the included accessories were upgraded. Having run both extensively, I doubt anyone can tell the difference between a properly made 24K, whether it’s of White’s, or Garrett, manufacture. There is no difference, as far as I am concerned, beyond more assurance you are getting a good coil. Coil manufacture was an Achilles Heel for White’s.

The above post says the 24K is an MXT running at 48 kHz. That may be conceptually correct in some ways, but is not true. The MXT/GMT are their own older design, with a huge circuit board. The MX5/MX7 circuit is completely new from the ground up, much smaller, and intended as a base for various models, through the magic of program based detector design. The MX5/7 circuit did however attempt to largely mimic MXT operational concepts. The 24K is made on the MX5/7 circuit platform, with a set of control concepts and options that are taken from the lineage of both platforms.

My Review of the White’s 24K

My Review of the Garrett 24K

85-gold-nuggets-garrett-goldmaster-24k-alaska-steve-herschbach.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

When Mitch purchased his Garrett Goldmaster 24K from me last week, we took the time to compare search coils from both the original White's version of the Goldmaster 24K and the Garrett version. The 10x6 Garrett coil was lighter, more stable, more bump resistant, and possibly a bit more sensitive. Mitch and I totally agreed that the Garrett product was superior. I hope this helps. HH Jim

• Like 7

I hope Garrett are going to make a Garrett build quality 6" Concentric coil, and also a revised and improved new version of the 4x6" DD coil, with the bad circumstances in Ukraine the home of Nel I don't think we can hope for the Nel coils for the 24k to be released anytime soon so I'd be looking to buy the Garrett coils in those two sizes.

Garrett seem to make good build quality coils.  I've never had any issues with any of my Garrett coils.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I spent Saturday afternoon with my new Garrett's Goldmaster 24K detecting in the Bradshaw's. I'm excited to learn more about the features of the 24K each time I go out, and my "ear" is getting better at distinguishing signals from tiny hot rocks and hot ground.

IMG_4648.jpg

IMG_4649.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Jim or Steve,

Are both the whites and Garrett's 24k coils interchangeable? I've been experiencing some false signals when bumping into rocks.seems the Garrett coils don't do it as often or at all? I currently have the 6x10 elliptical and the 6 concentric by whites. And if so, are both of those style coils available from Garrett's?

The Garrett coils are just built better quality.  I wish Garrett would maker the 6.5" Concentric, hopefully they do.  I have two of the Whites 6.5" Concentric coils for my Garrett 24k in case one goes bad as they're going to be impossible to get at some point.

They're interchangeable as they're basically the same detector.

• Like 4