What Detector To Buy For Beach, Coin And Backup Prospecting?

I'm in a bit of a quandary.  I am getting back into metal detecting and am planning a long detecting trip that includes Alaska, Oregon and probably more frequently the Atlantic coast beaches and coin shooting nearer to my home state of NC.  I picked up a GPX 5000 to cover most of my gold prospecting.  However I have nothing else.  It was suggested by a very experienced detector user that I get either a CTX-3030, a Minelab Excal II or as he put it his third choice, a Fisher CZ-21.  Problem is I'm not rich and just spent a lot on the GPX.  So, I have been looking at lesser priced machines that would serve a dual or more-so triple service and could be used for the beach, coins and a for prospecting in high trash areas.  I was thinking that other than the CTX, his recommended choices might not be the best for land use or prospecting and the CTX is a LOT of money.   So after a lot of online research, I am looking at maybe the Garrett AT Pro (water proof) or the new Whites MX Sport (also water proof).   Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Terry

Appreciate the input Steve. I like what I have seen and heard on line about the AT Pro.  I do imagine that a multi-frequency detector like the CTX 3030 would go deeper, have better discrimination and the fact that it's waterproof is a big plus for whatever use it's put to.

I have a couple months before I have to decide.  I did see a whites video review of the MX Sport where they put a nail both close to a good target and then a nail right on top of a good target and the detector audio was still able to recognize something possibly good was there which I thought interesting. They tried the same test on a similar older Whites and it was unable to do nearly as well.  The new MX sport seemed to have much quicker response and could be swung as quick as one can and still have a response to a target. But I have not seen a decent tests or videos done on it in a beach environment.  I'm anxious to see you do a review of the MX sport seeing that you have one now.

Terry

Well, the MX Sport is just another mid frequency VLF and anything in a video that makes you think it somehow is different than other mid frequency VLF detectors would be misleading you. The 13 kHz to 15 kHz range has been beat to death by machines that 95% of the time or more will find the same targets as the others.

The CTX is no depth demon per se but has perhaps the best discrimination at depth as opposed to raw depth in the industry.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Well, the MX Sport is just another mid frequency VLF and anything in a video that makes you think it somehow is different than other mid frequency VLF detectors would be misleading you. The 13 kHz to 15 kHz range has been beat to death by machines that 95% of the time or more will find the same targets as the others.

Much Appreciated Steve.  That's exactly why I'm looking forward to your review of this machine.  I'm sure you will tell us based on your vast knowledge and experience of detectors if this is an above average VLF or not.  Since this looks kinda like Whites answer to the Garrett AT Pro maybe you could tell us how they compare?

Thanks,

Terry