Is A Coil The Size They Say ?

If you get out your measuring tape you will find that most are not what they say they are.

I have the beast coil and it’s called a 12” coil. I found from side to side it’s 11 7/8 . I’d say that’s near enough to call it a 12” coil. From front to back you will find it to be 11 1/2” and that’s due to it having a flat nose front and back.

If any of you can check what is the true measurement of the stock coil I would appreciate it. I plan on ordering the stock coil and I’m wondering what’s the true size.

I was thinking about getting another shaft but at I believe is 60 dollars is on the high side. I don’t see 12 dollars for a coil cover to be a bad price.

Thanks ahead for your time!

Chuck 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

If you get out your measuring tape you will find that most are not what they say they are.

I have the beast coil and it’s called a 12” coil. I found from side to side it’s 11 7/8 . I’d say that’s near enough to call it a 12” coil. From front to back you will find it to be 11 1/2” and that’s due to it having a flat nose front and back.

If any of you can check what is the true measurement of the stock coil I would appreciate it. I plan on ordering the stock coil and I’m wondering what’s the true size.

I was thinking about getting another shaft but at I believe is 60 dollars is on the high side. I don’t see 12 dollars for a coil cover to be a bad price.

Thanks ahead for your time!

Chuck 

Stock is 8.5” x 11.25”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t believe you can go wrong with the standard.  I’ve switched back using the standard for winter hunting. In the water it’s quieter does well on smaller gold like this earring (1.4 grams 14k) IN the water.  Not crazy where the coil ears are located in the surf you get a little more coil flip.  Don’t discount the depth this coil gets and PPing is very good.  I highly recommend SteveGs shaft…. Those locks are crazy good and it fits the upper well.  Less displacement in the water.

209DADDF-DD2F-4549-9364-699FA1CC4031.jpeg

• Like 3

What I’ve read so far on the stock coil has all been positive and that you don’t find  that all will have a positive note on the same item.

I think different size coils has their place to serve each and everyone of us but we as a individual has to find where that’s at .

Chase thanks for taking your time to post the true size of the stock coil.

I was ready to order the coil the other day but like so many times something pops up and says you need to take care of this first.

I’m sure none of you ever have that problem . haha 

Chuck 

2 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

I don’t believe you can go wrong with the standard.  I’ve switched back using the standard for winter hunting. In the water it’s quieter does well on smaller gold like this earring (1.4 grams 14k) IN the water.  Not crazy where the coil ears are located in the surf you get a little more coil flip.  Don’t discount the depth this coil gets and PPing is very good.  I highly recommend SteveGs shaft…. Those locks are crazy good and it fits the upper well.  Less displacement in the water.

209DADDF-DD2F-4549-9364-699FA1CC4031.jpeg

Dew,   To combat coil flip you might want to consider modifying the coil & lower shaft to accept the slightly larger bolt that NM uses on their detectors. It has a superior bolt head & wing nut design that tightens well. A very simple upgrade to the only weak point I have found on the Tarsacci.

2 hours ago, JCR said:

Dew,   To combat coil flip you might want to consider modifying the coil & lower shaft to accept the slightly larger bolt that NM uses on their detectors. It has a superior bolt head & wing nut design that tightens well. A very simple upgrade to the only weak point I have found on the Tarsacci.

I dont know that i need that ...."i got a guy" lol, who made me a few industrial grade coil ear strengtheners.  I also have my ears moved to the center of the coil similar to the 12".   This is very balanced and took away a lot of coil flip.

• Like 1

Here’s my coil ear adjustment.  I noted someone mentioned the coil cover.  They can be a bear to get off.  If that standard is as tuff as the 12” you don’t need that cover.  This com from a guy that can distroy a cove in about 6 mos. if I don’t put loctite marine epoxy on it.

6E5940E6-AE16-4D70-9654-5D248D37185A.jpeg

• Like 2

You are way ahead of the game!

16 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Here’s my coil ear adjustment.  I noted someone mentioned the coil cover.  They can be a bear to get off.  If that standard is as tuff as the 12” you don’t need that cover.  This com from a guy that can distroy a cove in about 6 mos. if I don’t put loctite marine epoxy on it.

6E5940E6-AE16-4D70-9654-5D248D37185A.jpeg

Dew,  so many questions. #1 First, did you break an ear to start with ? #2 would your guy sell me a set of ears? #3 did you use marine grade epoxy to secure the new ears ? #4 more of a statement, I have a habit of pushing my scoop right up on the coil in deep water to dig my targets. I always worry about the cable getting nicked with my Stealth scoop. I think if I can get the ears, I will reverse the coil and have the wire come from the front. Feel free to mail your answers should you choose to respond. Thanks.