Coin Shooting! - You Just Never Know What You Might Find Next!

Very interesting and good research.  You never know where you are going to find clues.

• Like 3

Great research with a nice hunt for your hard work.

I find that if I talk to the old people from the area they know where all the hot spots are from earlier days.

Whether it be a old lovers lane or swimming hole that nobody ever goes to anymore.

They have shown me where old wrecks were that has thrown quarters all over the place from a man who had a vending machine in the men's room in all the bars.

Once the weather turns a little better I plan to hit up some of those places when I have some time.

• Like 3

What a great spot you found. Sounds like a fun hunt.

• Like 1

Excellent payout to your research.

18 hours ago, BMc said:

The biggest surprise though, was the improvised "black-jack" made from a gym sock filled with (217) clad pennies....

I'm curious as to what you mean by "clad pennies".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Excellent payout to your research.

I'm curious as to what you mean by "clad pennies".

If a Lincoln Memorial penny has a date before 1982, it is made of 95% copper. If the date is 1983 or later, it is made of 97.5% zinc and plated with a thin copper coating. A plated coin is commonly referred to as a "clad", especially among coin shooters, in my experience. If others differ, please chime in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jim tn said:

Good research and glad it paid off with some nice treasures.

Neat looking spot. That loaded sock gives new meaning to "knocking some cents/sense into ones head." HH jim tn

Good one Jim!

59 minutes ago, BMc said:

A plated coin is commonly referred to as a "clad", especially among coin shooters, in my experience. If others differ, please chime in.

Got it.  I don't think it's universally accepted that cladding and plating are the same thing.  Below I attach a web post that emphasizes the distinction.  Admittedly this can be considered merely semantic.

I've seen some here use 'clad' to mean everything minted in the last several decades, including Jefferson 5 cent pieces (aka 'nickels') which definitely aren't clad.  That ambiguity can lead to the question of whether or not 95% copper coins, particluarly the Memorials of 1959-82, are considered clad by those who use this loose usage of the word.  That is what led to my question -- whether your sock black-jack was completely loaded with zinc cents as opposed to Memorial cents of all kinds.  Maybe its maker hated zinc cents (aka Zincolns) as much as I do and separated them out for this use.  😁

Following can be found here

282474436_Screenshotat2022-03-02230443.thumb.png.9591d81ff7763382b7324110cb119256.png

• Like 3