Deus 2 Not Detecting Quarters Very Well

shopkins1994

2 hours ago, shopkins1994 said:

Hi. Faraday had nothing on this. If you set Reactivity to off, the Deus 2 detects the roll on all angles as expected. The question is why, and what does this mean for other items in the ground if the default programs are all set to 2.5-3? 

I don’t know what you mean about Faraday having “nothing on this”.  Faraday’s law is the physical principle which makes induction balance detectors possible.  Anyway, neither here nor there.

First of all, not ALL the default programs are set at 2.5 to 3, so let’s not exaggerate to sensationalize your “finding”.  Second, there was a program designed to hit on large high conductors that hit the target just fine at both angles (Deep HC) despite a default reactivity setting of 2 and Disc set at 7.  There was no need to go to “0” (which is not reactivity “off” btw, it’s simply the minimum recovery setting.  Reactivity “off” means the detector could not recover from single target hit, it is nonsensical for a motion based detection scheme in this context).

Finally, as several folks have mentioned, quarter rolls and silver hoards are very uncommon occurrences.  But if you do want to set up specifically for such targets, there is a mode for that that appears to work just fine at the default settings (Deep HC).  For any HC type target you would want to favor lower frequency FMF weightings (e.g., Deep HC or Mono at less than 20 kHz) with reactivity set as low as possible taking into account iron and non-ferrous junk target density as well a minimizing ground noise feedback.  I would personally go with pitch tones and iron volume at a suitable level to make it basically a ferrous/non-ferrous dig it all machine and explore any and every strong  ferrous and non-ferrous hit.  

Bottom line: as to your question regarding what it means for other items the ground?  It means you have a very versatile detector and I am sure you are not going to miss much of consequence if you manage to get your coil over a viable target while swinging with the default settings in general mode.

Really not losing sleep over this.

HTH.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

I don’t know what you mean about Faraday having “nothing on this”.  Faraday’s law is the physical principle which makes induction balance detectors possible.  Anyway, neither here nor there.

First of all, not ALL the default programs are set at 2.5 to 3, so let’s not exaggerate to sensationalize your “finding”.  Second, there was a program designed to hit on large high conductors that hit the target just fine at both angles (Deep HC) despite a default reactivity setting of 2 and Disc set at 7.  There was no need to go to “0” (which is not reactivity “off” btw, it’s simply the minimum recovery setting.  Reactivity “off” means the detector could not recover from single target hit, it is nonsensical for a motion based detection scheme in this context).

Finally, as several folks have mentioned, quarter rolls and silver hoards are very uncommon occurrences.  But if you do want to set up specifically for such targets, there is a mode for that that appears to work just fine at the default settings (Deep HC).  For any HC type target you would want to favor lower frequency FMF weightings (e.g., Deep HC or Mono at less than 20 kHz) with reactivity set as low as possible taking into account iron and non-ferrous junk target density as well a minimizing ground noise feedback.  I would personally go with pitch tones and iron volume at a suitable level to make it basically a ferrous/non-ferrous dig it all machine and explore any and every strong  ferrous and non-ferrous hit.  

Bottom line: as to your question regarding what it means for other items the ground?  It means you have a very versatile detector and I am sure you are not going to miss much of consequence if you manage to get your coil over a viable target while swinging with the default settings in general mode.

Really not losing sleep over this.

HTH.

I’m not losing sleep over it either.  I do wonder at times about how many gold rings I’ve passed over because I was too lazy to dig another pulltab. 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

I’m not losing sleep over it either.  I do wonder at times about how many gold rings I’ve passed over because I was too lazy to dig another pulltab. 😂

Now ain’t that the truth.

I thought the thingy below was going to be just another piece of can slaw…rang up as a 41 on the ol’ Deus 1 - doh!7aweE2kPMmD7N1_1608510870027_high.thumb.JPG.096794cd34d4fd91eaa69e97310f03ef.JPGQna582dzoVd9P1_1608510870027_high.thumb.JPG.dc1435bd57f675004c2dd76d12c7eb97.JPG20201122_194657.thumb.jpg.6a5aaac35c0d7f3b07b5ceaebaa3c13c.jpg20201122_195512.thumb.jpg.69484369589db94fb0d07397369d2d6a.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

I’ve already proven that reactivity of 0 in any program finds more items. And I’ve shown why in another video. And I’ve proven it by detecting a roll of quarters in general mode. No one should run reactivity other than 0. And that’s facts. 

51 minutes ago, shopkins1994 said:

I’ve already proven that reactivity of 0 in any program finds more items. And I’ve shown why in another video. And I’ve proven it by detecting a roll of quarters in general mode. No one should run reactivity other than 0. And that’s facts. 

So, no matter how polluted the site is with iron or aluminum you’re saying to stay with reactivity set to zero?   If that’s what I’m understanding from your quote above, that’s just plain wrong.  Why would XP give you options to adjust the reactivity if like you say “reactivity of 0 in any program finds more items”?  Maybe I’m misunderstanding you and if so I apologize, but to say no one should run reactivity other than 0 is misinformation and could lead someone who’s new to a deus II to get quite frustrated by following what you posted.  

• Thanks 1

Several years ago I ran into a guy at the beach who said he dug a roll of half dollars, he pulled them out and showed me.. then he pulled out a old silver dollar and said he found it also.. I would have believed the roll of half's but once he told me about the silver dollar........ 😂

And OC MD gets millions of visitors a year, and I guess anything is possible?

3 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Several years ago I ran into a guy at the beach who said he dug a roll of half dollars, he pulled them out and showed me.. then he pulled out a old silver dollar and said he found it also.. I would have believed the roll of half's but once he told me about the silver dollar........ 😂

And OC MD gets millions of visitors a year, and I guess anything is possible?

Were the halves still in the paper wrapper?   Lol!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, shopkins1994 said:

Um. Ok then.  Good luck with that.

• Like 3

I’ve dug a roll of dimes before. All 50 of them. lol  Honestly I don’t even remember what machine I was using. Could have been the etrac or maybe an f-19…??? I do remember it hit good and I knew it was a larger target. It was quite a surprise. The newest was a 1992. No paper left and no silver. I kept them for a while until one day I just threw them in with the clad. Ya just never know what you’re gonna dig up😄 love this hobby!