Small GPZ Audio Issue

For about 2 months I've been experiencing a short "cut-out" occasionally, as I'm detecting. The best way to describe it is the way my GPX 5000 would cut out in discrimination mode with the DD coil, it's just like that. It's quite annoying  because it disrupts my rhythm causing me to re-swing where it just hiccupped.

I just spoke to Minelab, they put me on hold then gave me Jerry's (Jerry's detectors) number and asked me to call him. That seemed odd. We talked about the problem for a while and decided the first thing to try is, connect the headphones directly to the detector to determine whether the module is the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Steve H. had a couple of tips here:

Free bonus tip, do not forget about the hidden reset button on the WM 12 as shown below. Also, keep the module in clear line of sight with the pod on the GPZ. The signal has a hard time going through the human body so keep the module on your side closest to the hand gripping the GPZ.

post-1-0-46220000-1428611418_thumb.jpg

I had experienced a small audio issue just after the update, it happened only a couple of times and I have not had any problems for some time now. When the problem did happen the sound went away after making some settings changes, I did a quick reset and everything returned to normal... I think this happened twice. There was a short thread on this issue about a month after the update started by another member if my memory serves me right.

I have had the same problem even with the headphones plugged directly into the detector. However it seems to have corrected its self lately. If you have a straight headphone plug you will probably have a cord problem in short order because of the 180 degree kink and the cord being to short when you are working near the coil with both hands recovering a nugget. If you have a cord with a right angle plug, when you bump the plug and it turns, the shape of the socket causes the plug to pull out and loose connection. Running the cord through the armrest helps. Just another minor irritation with a detector that has a lot of "miner" irritations.

• Like 2

I use the module with headphones and/or JP's Enhancer. I have found that turning the module with the backside facing out helps keep the module from  cutting out...I hang the module on my chest strap on the right side as I am right handed. i have had few problems even with just the module; but I did have to return my first module in the early days....

Jonathan suggested carrying the module in your right front pocket but I donot because I dislike having stuff in my front pockets. I am sure that would be a better connection...

fred

1 hour ago, WesD said:

yep sounds like you're not keeping your module in line of sight, or your headphone wires are frayed at the plug. I like Chris' idea with the extension cable!

I don't think it's the line of site issue because I've only had the problem 2 months. I haven't changed the way I wear it.

But it could be any of the other issues all have mentioned. Sounds like it'll be easy to figure out.

Thanks for the advice all.

Hehh :0

The topic: And the query.

Small GPZ Audio Issue

The best way to describe it is the way my GPX 5000 would cut out in discrimination mode with the DD coil,

Is it a Zed?  Read the question.

Yeah the audio can cut out on the WM12 but thats just keeping it in your pocket or in LOS, Line Of Sight, dont know that the GPX has this capability unless someones adapted it... I'll put my hard hat on just incase someone wants to dump a load of bricks on me....