Impulse AQ Small ("8") Coil

On 3/4/2022 at 11:09 AM, Carolina said:

The old limited  coils will not work with the new unlimited version due to the new coax method of connection. Maybe they will issue new 8” coils at that time.

Hopefully they will do a 10 inch. Good to hear they are actually doing something to reduce the capacitance effects through the connection. Perhaps there has been some mitigation of EMI too. I have not found it terrible with the LTD, yet there are places it makes me turn sensitivity down to 2, delay up to 11 and ATS to 8 or 8.5.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a chance  to run this machine in salt water.  Pre factory service unit must have had problems because the stability was a lot better this time.   Before it made noise when you touched the coil connector--not a good sign.  The fixed one is silent and has good stability.  There is still a b it of noise when the housing is near the surface but that's not hard to get used to and compensate for.

Before, I had corrosion on both power and coil jacks--played it safe this  time with "CoAxSeal" putty protecting all.   With minor compensation for wave action (slowing the sweep or even holding still for an instant) this machine was great.   Better as an E/W.  There were not really enough  targets (sanded in, picked over)  where I hunted to make any good  depth assessments but this is a a very powerful,  smooth running pulse.  Certainly approaching 20".  probably more on a big ring.   It also has the benefit of taking non-ferrous targets right though small iron.  The stock coil didn't really allow for the use of much Gain but Alexandre had mentioned to me that pre set is 85 % of the power anyhow.  The small coil really channeled the power well--probably the sharpest I've seen since the Cuda 8".  Seemed a bit harder to keep the machine off the iron bits with this coil but coins did sound off with a round sound.  Where you heard  a sharp cut off --this meant iron.   Great gold optimization as well also comparable to only the Cuda.   Shame that it does not like  big 22k that much in the disc modes--my one concern in that these are the prize finds at my freshwater sites.  I have  two 10" coils coming from Eric Foster and know for sure that this size will  be a good balance between the two factory coils.   Thanks also  to Joe for his cell--super long run time and takes a lot of the worry out with it's right angle jack.  I knew this machine had tons of potential the first time I turned one on.  Minor bugs ironed out a great detector that I will run alongside my Dual Field and CTX as a main machine.  Thanks to FT for bringing this tech to market--and in particular Felix at FT Service for his thoroughness getting me sorted out with this detector.  I've never owned a great machine that didn't have some problems.  Some leak, some have parts falling off--it's part of the hobby.  What count's is the end result and I'm quite happy with this one.

Regards 

clive

LIMITED-AQ-298x300.jpg

• Like 4

Hello Clive,

Regarding the problem with 22K big gold (and 18K to an extent as well)…..I’m sure this is tied in to the AQ’s low pulse width which needs to be longer in order to fully energise these class of targets. I’m guessing a long pulse width and very quick delays don’t play well together?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Hello Clive,

Regarding the problem with 22K big gold (and 18K to an extent as well)…..I’m sure this is tied in to the AQ’s low pulse width which needs to be longer in order to fully energise these class of targets. I’m guessing a long pulse width and very quick delays don’t play well together?

That is in discriminate mode ... and I've found that even the grunts in discriminate mode that have a very narrow rise and fall signature on the tone are good targets to dig; even without going to all metal to check the response signature. Lets see what Clive says as he is more experienced with PI's than I am. I'm loving the AQ LTD now that I kind of have my head around it.

• Like 3

The disc mode specifically narrows the range to the most common ring range, and cuts the rest as being mostly junk. But it does mean some outliers are lost also. Solution - just hunt all metal and do your disc by ear.

I’m glad the AQ is finally giving you some joy Clive. You sounded like you’d wrap it around a tree early on. I love the circuit and performance in general, and just hope FT can work off the rough edges in the final version.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, tvr said:

That is in discriminate mode ... and I've found that even the grunts in discriminate mode that have a very narrow rise and fall signature on the tone are good targets to dig; even without going to all metal to check the response signature. Lets see what Clive says as he is more experienced with PI's than I am. I'm loving the AQ LTD now that I kind of have my head around it.

thats a good point, TVR--some of the rejects  are narrow and clean  sounding--demanding attention.  like any machine it can mean big too.

cjc

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 1:19 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

The disc mode specifically narrows the range to the most common ring range, and cuts the rest as being mostly junk. But it does mean some outliers are lost also. Solution - just hunt all metal and do your disc by ear.

I’m glad the AQ is finally giving you some joy Clive. You sounded like you’d wrap it around a tree early on. I love the circuit and performance in general, and just hope FT can work off the rough edges in the final version.

My tests show that 22k is a bit weaker than say 18k even in the A/M mode--just what the delay / optimization is channeled to bring up the best.   My first AQ had a problem Gain pot--and made noise when you touched the coil connector--the repair helped a lot--allowing me to give this machine the fair test that it most certainly deserves.  

cjc

• Like 2