Controls Are Dangerous, Keep Them Off Detectors

17 minutes ago, phrunt said:

This was a prime example of why a fixed setting isn't always the best, where having some manual control may in fact improve performance. 

But I don't think iron bias for SMF tech like the MIQ (and presumably the Legend) is something that's always best for being adjustable. Honestly, for every 100 people who use the Equinox, I'd estimate that at least 50 never touch the iron bias setting consistently. And of those that do, 25 aren't actually improving performance. If my numbers are correct, we're looking at 25% of Equinox users using iron bias adjustability to their benefit.

I say all of this b/c it's almost impossible to confirm that adjusting the iron bias up or down is producing less undesirable targets and more desirable targets. That's b/c you don't know what you don't know. So people will make a change, see an extra desirable target and assume their adjustment made a positive difference. However, had they not made the adjustment, they might have found 2 extra desirable targets.

I think of adjustable iron bias as manual transmission in a car. Yes, it's nice to have more control. But the majority of drivers either can't take advantage of this greater control (either b/c they don't want to or don't know how to).

TL;DR: N/M's decision to not initially allow iron bias to be adjustable is 100% understandable. Heck, even Minelab's original iron bias adjustment had to be modified to allow for MORE iron bias adjustability with a later update.

I think this is a good read

I'm confident adjusting my iron bias to F2-0 over the default FE setting is giving me my desired result when gold prospecting, I would not like to be stuck in the Legends default setting when looking for small nuggets.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mh9162013 said:

Honestly, for every 100 people who use the Equinox, I'd estimate that at least 50 never touch the iron bias setting consistently. And of those that do, 25 aren't actually improving performance.

Repetition of the “people don’t use it, or don’t know how to use it” commentary, that prompted my post.

The argument over whether NM made the “correct” decision in initially leaving the IB control off the Legend is purely subjective. There is no “right” or “wrong” answer. It’s merely a design and marketing question that can go either way. I would submit, as a marketing whiz, that saying you are basically duplicating another detector, but for less money, and with possibly better performance…. that argument is undercut by leaving off a control many top end users desire.

I totally agree most people don’t use the iron bias, in fact, most Equinox users probably can’t find the control. So what? I know where it is, what it does, and find it critical at times to have that control available. If NM wants my attention selling a so-called high end machine, they won’t get it denying me controls I find useful. But that’s just me, and I’m admittedly not the normal detector consumer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Repetition of the “people don’t use it, or don’t know how to use it” commentary, that prompted my post.

I'm just saying that when it comes to adjustability, a company is in a possibly no-win situation. Increase adjustability and many people will complain about increased complexity of their device or how the adjustability makes their device work not as well. Reduce adjustabiltiy and you get people complaining about the company taking a patronizing approach to their customers treating them like idiots or having some other nefarious goal. 

So what's a company to do? Crunch numbers and go with the lesser of two evils (at least that's my assumption).

9 minutes ago, mh9162013 said:

I'm just saying that when it comes to adjustability, a company is in a possibly no-win situation. Increase adjustability and many people will complain about increased complexity of their device or how the adjustability makes their device work not as well. Reduce adjustabiltiy and you get people complaining about the company taking a patronizing approach to their customers treating them like idiots or having some other nefarious goal. 

So what's a company to do? Crunch numbers and go with the lesser of two evils.

I amended my post above with more detail just as you posted. It kind of mirrors what you just said. The bottom line this is my thread expressing my opinion, and the problems manufactures face really don’t concern me. If they can’t take the heat, find another business.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I'm confident adjusting my iron bias to F2-0 over the default FE setting is giving me my desired result when gold prospecting, I would not like to be stuck in the Legends default setting when looking for small nuggets.

I believe you're making the right decision. You're a well-experienced and educated metal detectorist who's got access to other knowledgeable detectorists and isn't afraid to tinker. You are not the typical metal detectorist because of these traits, though.

The iron bias setting on the Nox is well hidden, it's actually easier to find on the Vanquish, their beginners detector where you can have it on low/high.  Minelab thought it was not such an advanced feature when they applied it to the Vanquish.

So as users scroll around in the settings on the Nox they will never even see it, they're not going to be confused by settings they can't see.  If they learn their detector and read the manual again once they have more of an understanding of their detector they may want to experiment with the setting if they think it'd benefit them. 

The real question is, was Nokta making a beginners detector or one that appeals to more demanding users as well?  They sure marketed it as being one that suits the more demanding users.

By having "advanced" controls available and in sub menu's hidden away by timed button presses greatly benefits what I guess you're describing as power users, and to the normal everyday user they don't even need to know they're there, their life doesn't change at all and perhaps one day they'll want to use them too, at least they have them available if they do.

• Like 2

Great post Carl, and certainly there is such a thing as too much. I’ve made the argument myself, or at least recognized it as real as an issue. I clearly remember telling you at one point that what the world wanted was a simplified V3i stripped down to fit in a lightweight, waterproof package. :smile:

I made a huge case for Equinox 600 being as good as the Equinox 800 for nearly all users. The reality is the 800 still outsells the 600 by huge margins, even though most of the users don’t employ the extra features they paid for. I think some of it just boils down to the price difference not being that great, and the fear of missing out somehow by not getting the higher price machine.

Is not reality simply different strokes for different folks? And that we need choices in the marketplace, so each can have their own?

3 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

fear of missing out

I can see that being a major factor, especially given how the average human mind (and social media) works.