Knowing The Best Size Coil For Your VLF To Produce Gold

Starting to see some great knowledge and tips being discussed and mentioned.  Keep it coming folks.

B-S10.jpg

DSCN0003.JPG

• Like 8

Small coils find small gold, that large coils can not react on. For a newbie this help them in get a nugget ( more about) and learn how to listen to the detector that will be a great asset when looking for larger nuggets at depth. The nugget that are large and shallow you only need to walk over them and not think they are junk. The old rule if you hear it dig it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Knowing The Best Size Coil For Your VLF To Produce Gold
4 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Detector manufactures have caught on as well.  Each time a new VLF gold detector comes out, it's usually compared to see how small of gold it can find.  Heck todays higher dollar PI's and ZVT technology detectors do the same thing.  They get better at finding the smaller nuggets than their older models before.  It's the odds of having success at going home with a nugget, no matter what the size.

Great write up, Gerry. On the gold size issue, I sometimes find myself going back to the 7000 just to not get stuck all day digging up the super tiny stuff with the 6000. In particular, because the 6000 is so sensitive that often times I can't estimate the target size from the signal strength, not even for shallow targets (every shallow target screams). So, it can go the other way as well.

GC

• Like 4

The other aspect of small coils is that targets are typically going to be shallow, and with the high accuracy of pin-pointing, you generally get your target out pretty quickly. This means lots more targets dug for any given period of time. When you are sifting through target rich areas, this can make all the difference.  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, PhaseTech said:

target rich areas

Those are much harder to come by these days!

• Like 1

that last pic of the gold. it looks like 2 different patches. the one on top looks like a bit more silver in it, electrum maybe?
and the lower pic smaller bits, but more pure or maybe a bit more copper in it.
last weekend i found 3 and my smallest bit yet with the 6k 11 inch, less than a grain,like .8 had me laughing as i could not believe that that coil could beep that small.
 no pic as i gave it away. that 11 inch is more than sensitive enough
for my use.

• Like 3