To Me, This Is A Problem...

Jayhop

This has been an interesting thread to me, someone that has a high desire for deep machines on silver coins.  I guess with the Deus being limited by coil size It's never going to be an ideal very deep silver coin detector but at times the reports sound promising.

I wish dealers had a try before you buy scheme, where they lend you a demo unit for a day or something so you can take it for a test drive and you just pay them a deposit or leave your drivers license with them or something, I'd know in an hour if the Deus 2 was right for me.  I'd imagine my proper Minelab dealer would do something like that for me, our XP dealer is more of just a retail store that is more about photography and just sells XP. Minelab and Chinese detectors on the side.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, phrunt said:

This has been an interesting thread to me, someone that has a high desire for deep machines on silver coins.  I guess with the Deus being limited by coil size It's never going to be an ideal very deep silver coin detector but at times the reports sound promising.

I wish dealers had a try before you buy scheme, where they lend you a demo unit for a day or something so you can take it for a test drive and you just pay them a deposit or leave your drivers license with them or something, I'd know in an hour if the Deus 2 was right for me.  I'd imagine my proper Minelab dealer would do something like that for me, our XP dealer is more of just a retail store that is more about photography and just sells XP. Minelab and Chinese detectors on the side.

In Deep HC (modified) it is very deep on coins, especially in the silver range. As deep or deeper than the equinox. 

It's just that I haven't been able to come up with a 5 tone program that sounds as good on all my deep coins as the equinox 800 does. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jayhop said:

In Deep HC (modified) it is very deep on coins, especially in the silver range. As deep or deeper than the equinox. ...

I agree , knowing that the D2 is much lighter than the Eq , is much better in the iron trash ( for me  ) , is probably more robust from what I have seen , has a telescopic shaft etc ... But we are going off topic as we are not in the MD comparison forum here  ...  🙂

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2022 at 4:18 AM, Jayhop said:

My soil is mild and using Deep HC the tones are clean on the dime and quarter. The reason for the clean tones in Deep HC 5 tones is that the IDs are very accurate. But Deep HC doesn't report very well on the Deep low conductors, tones are broken. 

I'm just trying to find a program that will work as well on all coins as the equinox does in my Park 1 program on the deeper coins. 

Make sure your bottle cap adjustment is on zero I noticed that on several programs maybe all of them if I have the bottle cap turned on in other words one two three four five It makes the nickel all broken up. I can hear it okay in one and two but once I hit three to five it just about disappears so I run my bottle cap adjustment on zero. I'm not sure how this would affect the beach hunters like myself as I have not tested on the beach yet to see if I was eliminate gold by running the bottle tap adjustment up but that's what I would start with on my part program and my deep high conductor program I can hit my 9 inch nickel on my test garden very cleanly as long as my bottle cap adjustment is on zero

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, basstrackerman said:

Make sure your bottle cap adjustment is on zero I noticed that on several programs maybe all of them if I have the bottle cap turned on in other words one two three four five It makes the nickel all broken up. I can hear it okay in one and two but once I hit three to five it just about disappears so I run my bottle cap adjustment on zero. I'm not sure how this would affect the beach hunters like myself as I have not tested on the beach yet to see if I was eliminate gold by running the bottle tap adjustment up but that's what I would start with on my part program and my deep high conductor program I can hit my 9 inch nickel on my test garden very cleanly as long as my bottle cap adjustment is on zero

Thanks for the response. I do have bottle caps off, Silencer 0, all the tricks. It's just that the equinox gives better tones on all three 11in coins than the Deus II. I'm taking about a 5 tone program. It does ok on the dime and quarter in some program but the nickel sounds terrible. If a program like Park reports a good audio on the nickel then the dime reports a good tone but surrounded by a terrible iron buzz. 

For now I will use Deep HC in pitch or 5 tones. It doesn't do good on the nickel in five tones but it is very accurate on the HC IDs. I really want to be able to hunt by tones. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 8:12 PM, Jayhop said:

In short, I'm talking about the Deus II tones on deeper coins.

I mainly hunt farm fields where coins can go deep, so at times the depth of a detector is very important to me. 

I test all my detectors on three coins I have in my test garden. The nickel, dime and quarter are at 10 1/2 to 11 inches deep and have been buried for 3 years and 4 months. 

The stock programs on the Equinox 800 and the Deus II don't do well on these coins. 

With very few adjustments to the Equinox 800 each of these coins sounds very sweet. The ID is very close on the nickel, it's a little low on the quarter and jumps up on the dime. 

The Deep High Conductor program on the Deus II does very well on the dime and quarter as it should and does ok on the nickel but not great. This is using a 5 tone program. Using pitch they all sound better but the nickel is still a little broken. 

Using pitch isn't what I want to do all the time. The low conductors close to the surface cost me a lot of time because they sound really good. So I want a five tone program so I can hunt by tone and not have to check the numbers continuously. 

I discriminate to 6.8 and set the second tone break at 45 with a 100 HZ tone. 

The problem is that in all programs except Deep HC the dime and quarter IDs bounce back and forth between the 30s and 90s. This gives a very unpleasant tone. I don't see a solution.  

Any ideas?

You should be running at reactivity 0. Reactivity is both recovery and transmit power, incase you didn't know.

16 hours ago, shopkins1994 said:

You should be running at reactivity 0. Reactivity is both recovery and transmit power, incase you didn't know.

Again, no.  Reactivity is NOT transmit power and Reactivity "0" is not optimal for all detecting situations.  Please read the link below, I took the time to extract the relevant passages from the user manual in an attempt to clear up your misconception and in the hopes that you will quit putting this inaccurate information out there that can result in confusion for those actually trying to learn this newly released detector.

• Like 2