3d Dime Rusty Nail Test

That’s why I have my small coils. I still use the larger ones when ground coverage or depth are my main concern but the 5X10 is on the equinox most of the time. 
Like you said there are just so many different scenarios in the ground it would be impossible to duplicate them and they’re  “in the ground “ verses air tests. I think there’s a lot more to that than we know.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tometusns said:

I think there’s a lot more to that than we know.

I agree, but maybe we can get a better understanding? Because spending another $100-$250 on a coil for target separation that's only better "most" of the time is a bit unnerving.

I know I'm not the only one with limited funds and if I had $150 or w/e to spend and I'm trying to decide b/w Steve's S-shaft or a 6" coil, I'd like to better understand what sort of benefit I'm getting with the smaller coil.

• Like 1

I would like to talk a little more about the test. The deus1 did hit the target with a two way swing and the equinox would only hit it one way until I stopped and wiggled it over the dime. The good tone and numbers would cause me to try and zero in on the target.
 The equinox gave the better vdi numbers but having said that now knowing what numbers the D1 gives when locating a target in close proximity of iron I’ll be digging those signals.      Before the 01’s and 02’s I always wrote off as big iron and will still do that but the 04’s and higher where I can distinguish two targets I’ll be digging. I guess I don’t care what numbers the machine is giving so long as it’s telling me to dig and both machines told me that.

• Like 1

I have the 10x5 on my 600 all the time. Recently I dug a small silver ring that was 8-10" deep in a hole with a few iron bits, probably old nails. Had to use the Quest pinpointer to find it. It was the 27 in one direction that clued it was there. I did not find this with the 11". I also find I have better "lock on" capability over multiple targets, probably due to learned coordination using it. These are areas I went over with the 11". I have found every silver item with the 10x5 in this place. 3 silver quarters, a Walker Half, two rings. There is a lot of iron and aluminum trash.

Hopefully the D2 and the Legend will get a similar coil. 🙂 Until then the Equinox and the 10x5 will do fine for me!

• Like 3

....I'll put it this way .... during surface or shallow separation in iron "2D" similar to the Monte performance nailboard test ... the smaller coil always wins ... on any detector you use ....

..the smaller coil here always gives better results than more .....

And in practical detection it will also be confirmed ..... smaller coil can separate shallow targets much better in iron shallow..like a large coil..and you will see targets which, for example, the 11 "coil already has a problem detecting ..

Furthermore ... the coil could also detect a deeper coin .. especially if there is less iron on only one side .. from the coin at a certain distance ..
..but here a lot depends on the 3D separation capabilities of the detector .... and the separation well detectors prove the data signal on the deep coin even though it is really close ....

However, there are several situations in iron-polluted terrain where only a larger coil ... size 9-11 "can handle the detection of a deeper target.
which, when the detector is set correctly, will allow you to separate really deep targets between the irone ....

...here you can be a 9 "coil optimal in the separation ....

...... come to another important feature in iron separation .... and that is ... is the ID of the unmasked target....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I have the 10x5 on my 600 all the time. Recently I dug a small silver ring that was 8-10" deep in a hole with a few iron bits, probably old nails. Had to use the Quest pinpointer to find it. It was the 27 in one direction that clued it was there. I did not find this with the 11". I also find I have better "lock on" capability over multiple targets, probably due to learned coordination using it. These are areas I went over with the 11". I have found every silver item with the 10x5 in this place. 3 silver quarters, a Walker Half, two rings. There is a lot of iron and aluminum trash.

Hopefully the D2 and the Legend will get a similar coil. 🙂 Until then the Equinox and the 10x5 will do fine for me!

So that's 6 silver targets found with your 10x5. Had you been using your 11" stock coil instead, how many of those 6 targets do you think you would have found?

Just now, mh9162013 said:

So that's 6 silver targets found with your 10x5. Had you been using your 11" stock coil instead, how many of those 6 targets do you think you would have found?

I went over the spot where I found the small ring with the 11" not too long ago, got nothing but aluminum and iron. It wasn't until I came back with the 10x5 that I got the ring, a 1965 dime, and a 1912 wheat. 🙂 The only setting difference was a lower recovery speed. Maybe that helped. I'm still trying to find a much more valuable ring someone lost there.

I find that it is much easier to hone in on anything with the 10x5 overall for sure.

I don't put much stock in contrived tests. I don't mean that negatively or to disparage anyone. The smaller elliptical just feels more accurate. Just my opinion. 🙂 I know there are many other factors!

• Like 4

...The problem with the coils of Equinox is that it does not have a 9 "coil ..... and an 11" coil can be a bit big in some cases.

and another good thing is to optimize the recovery speed below the coil size and also the sweeping speed ....

• Like 3

I have a thread going on another forum I started the other day about how the small coils have done nothing for me. I have the 6" and 10x5. I have been back over three places I have recently got silver and all were pretty trashy. One basically iron only. the other two a mix of iron and modern. I found nothing more going back over these spots. I have never even found a silver with either of the smaller coils that I can remember. The crazy thing is I also never seem to hear anything very deep with them. I'm talking 4" maybe 5" max. I hunt pretty slow to begin with. I'm not going to fast. I've tried jacking the sensitivity and lowering recovery a tad. I've kept all settings the same too. Unless your working around obstacles I've yet to find a good use for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longbow62 said:

I have a thread going on another forum I started the other day about how the small coils have done nothing for me. I have the 6" and 10x5. I have been back over three places I have recently got silver and all were pretty trashy. One basically iron only. the other two a mix of iron and modern. I found nothing more going back over these spots. I have never even found a silver with either of the smaller coils that I can remember. The crazy thing is I also never seem to hear anything very deep with them. I'm talking 4" maybe 5" max. I hunt pretty slow to begin with. I'm not going to fast. I've tried jacking the sensitivity and lowering recovery a tad. I've kept all settings the same too. Unless your working around obstacles I've yet to find a good use for them.

I saw that thread and I've been reading it with great interest; thanks for starting it. 

Here are my hypotheses (for the Equinox) in regards to vertical placement of the high conducting target (let's assume a clad or silver dime) between 2 peices of iron (where the 2 pieces of iron are always on the same plane as each other).

1. If the dime is b/w two pieces of iron, but above the peices of iron, both big and small coils will be better able to pick up on the dime (compared to a situation where the dime is below the plane the iron pieces are on), but the smaller coil will have an advantage (from a target separation perspective). However, the higher the dime is in relation to the 2 pieces of iron, the less of an advantage a smaller coil will have over the bigger coil.

2. If the dime is b/w two pieces of iron, but on the same plane as both pieces of iron, the smaller coil will have an easier time picking up on the dime (from a target separation perspective).

3. If the dime is b/w the pieces of iron, but is below the plane where the 2 pieces of iron are located, both coils may or may not be able to pick up on the dime. But the further down the dime goes in relation to the 2 pieces of iron, the less of an advantage the smaller coil will have.

If my 3 hypotheses are correct, then that might explain why some people don't see what the big deal is with smaller coils on the Equinox. For example, imagine an old house with silver coins in the yard. But the silver is located 5-9 inches down. But from the surface down to 5 inches, there's nothing but a dense blanket of iron trash. The stock 11" Equinox coil might be more capable of sniffing out the silver coins compared to the 10x5 or 6" coil. Or, it's ability to pick up on those silver coins is at least comparable to the 10x5 or 6". But since you get more coverage and depth with the stock 11" coil, that ends up being the preferred coil.

I think I'm oversimplifying. But I'm trying to get a general principle down, because I worry about the caveats. Kind of like how, when it comes to coils, as a general rule, the bigger the coil, the deeper is can detect. It's not 100% true in 100% of situations, but it's a solid rule of thumb to start a "which coil should I use" analysis.

• Like 1