Sharpening My Digger --- A How To Question

Sharpening My Digger --- A How To Question

Ok, so I like to have my Lesche Digger razor sharp when I go out to look for possibles.

My question is; what do my fellow detectorists use to keep digging tools sharp?

Due to arm, wrist, elbow, and shoulder injuries; and drought like ground matrix, razor sharp is the solution for me.

Currently my sharpening tool is an old Harbor Freight type 'el cheapo' bench grinder.

It works OK, but removes too much stock and does not always get the edges, or more importantly the tip, as sharp as I would like.

The Delta model 23-700 looks like the right solution for me.

Yes/No --- What are your suggestions?

nwdetectorist

TOO MUCH DIRT --- NOT ENUFF

Hunting with the EQ 800 and best back up ever, the Tesoro Bandido II uMax

I use flat & round bastard cut hand files. I do not try to get a razor edge, too thin & won't last.

• Like 2

I do agree JCR, but still want to have the razor edge to alleviate the stinging pain of digging.

This is why I have to replace the Lesche digger every so often due to loss of depth :)

8 minutes ago, JCR said:

I use flat & round bastard cut hand files. I do not try to get a razor edge, too thin & won't last.

I filed the teeth off my Lesche hand digger with just a standard mill file.  That steel is pretty tough and resistant to all but minor corrosion, but still soft enough to file.

There's probably an optimum technique, though, to get the edge you want.  If answers here are hard to come by (time will tell), I would find some YouTube videos on sharpening similar items, like large hunting knives and standard hollow point shovels.  I doubt you want to go razor sharp, but the cross section profile could be similar.

• Like 1

Ok, I will pick up a Mill Bastard file.

I used to work in a professional tool and supply shop years ago.

Somehow I have forgotten the proper type file; perhaps compound is the cutting type.

thanks again

doyle

I use a Worksharp Ken Onion edition, with the optional grinding attachment.  A Harbor Freight 1" belt grinder works too, but the smaller Worksharp tool is easier to control the amount of material being removed and doesn't heat up the blade as fast as the regular belt grinder does.

I don't go for razor sharp on it though.  Just a bit thinner/sharper edge than as issued.

- Dave

• Like 1