Legend Processing And Audio

cjc

I don't know if anyone else has had this detector in the salt water where there is a lot of iron but I was very Impressed by the audio, target assignment and overall processing.  This thing is fast and deep.--even in the MW preset.  It brought up targets in an area that NOX and Excalibur hunters had been in for days.  Unbelievable what you get for your money these days--a great value.  I ran at Sens 25 Speed 5 or 6, Stability 1 or 2 and experimented  with 4, 6 and 60 tones.  If anyone has done any testing to determine if the Legend  brings up targets  best at higher or lower Speeds--let me know. 

cjc

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, cjc said:

I don't know if anyone else has had this detector in the salt water where there is a lot of iron but I was very Impressed by the audio, target assignment and overall processing.  This thing is fast and deep.--even in the MW preset.  It brought up targets in an area that NOX and Excalibur hunters had been in for days.  Unbelievable what you get for your money these days--a great value.  I ran at Sens 25 Speed 5 or 6, Stability 1 or 2 and experimented  with 4, 6 and 60 tones.  If anyone has done any testing to determine if the Legend  brings up targets  best at higher or lower Speeds--let me know. 

cjc

Clive,

Good insights. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the 4, 6 and 60 tone audio (which one did you like the best)? 

The Legend's definitely not short on power, it's deep and when I field tested a sample unit at a sea of nails relic site, it seemed to handle small iron just fine without a lot of falsing.

I had just seen Dilek's video on the  updates and had to throw in my two cents--on the wide sounding PP (how can  a beginner test wide / narrow to ID iron?) and the idea of giving it a "more than you  can use" Sensitivity setting like the Simplex (good to learn what moderates it).  Having run the unit in salt it has lots of power and from  the look of it more speed than you could apply--6 and 7 were like machine gun fire.  I had assumed that  the fluidity of 60 tones would work well with this machine but it was a bit frenetic--maybe my overall tuning.  6 Tones seemed deepest in air and assigned targets well.  4 Tones also sounded  pretty good--still testing.  Overall --phenomenal filtering . processing--very clean and orderly. The response that it likes is brought up but not with so much modulation as to distort the size.

The FerraCheck went a lot deeper than I thought it would too.  Some targets that were corroded gave  a couple of FE bars too and  where you saw mostly NF corresponded with a broken tone, and a  response that's tuning out with a few more coil passes.  

cjc

13 hours ago, cjc said:

I had just seen Dilek's video on the  updates and had to throw in my two cents--on the wide sounding PP (how can  a beginner test wide / narrow to ID iron?) and the idea of giving it a "more than you  can use" Sensitivity setting like the Simplex (good to learn what moderates it).  Having run the unit in salt it has lots of power and from  the look of it more speed than you could apply--6 and 7 were like machine gun fire.  I had assumed that  the fluidity of 60 tones would work well with this machine but it was a bit frenetic--maybe my overall tuning.  6 Tones seemed deepest in air and assigned targets well.  4 Tones also sounded  pretty good--still testing.  Overall --phenomenal filtering . processing--very clean and orderly. The response that it likes is brought up but not with so much modulation as to distort the size.

The FerraCheck went a lot deeper than I thought it would too.  Some targets that were corroded gave  a couple of FE bars too and  where you saw mostly NF corresponded with a broken tone, and a  response that's tuning out with a few more coil passes.  

cjc

Clive,

Nice of you to add your veteran voice to the dialogue.  You are evaluating the Legend the way a new detector is supposed to be tested.  Keep this relevant info coming!.

Bill

• Like 2

I haven't used 6 Tones on a machine before (my last NM detector was the MMK which IMO negated the need for an Amfibio or Simplex) but I think it works out.  I was hoping to use full tones for everything as that works well on the Equinox for me, but it seems like the Legend better utilized some of the lower audio options.  It's definitely not an Equinox clone as I've heard some folks claim on various forums.

I just watched Dilek's video.  Interesting choice of coils, I like the 9.5 x 5.5 DD Elliptical, hopefully it's a closed loop design, please.

I think FerroCHeck is useful.  I noticed in the video Calabash posted running the Legend through his test garden, and on the targets he said also had iron, the FerroCheck meter was getting lit up.  That mimics what my experience in the field has been.  Useful for crown caps. I see it providing data that'll be more useful with more practice as we experience it with a variety of targets and conditions.

I have more relic sites to test the Legend at.  It'll be a good relic machine, especially with all the coils Nokta Makro is looking at making. 

• Like 4