Sign in to follow this  
AU_Solitude

How Many Of These Have You Dug Over The Years?

How many ax or pick heads have you dug?

• Like 1

I have dug out a few but only 1 using a detector.

• Like 1

dozens

• Like 1

This is #5 (in one piece) for the year. It seems crazy they discarded so many of these things. 

I have found probably 15-16 before. I have the better ones in my relic garden. I found one that has "blank" iron works stamped on it. Not sure if "blank" was a company name or town. I think somewhere I heard a relic detectorist mention Philadelphia iron works. good luck

• Like 1

How about, and ax or my fav :)

Bart crop resize.jpg

Bart resize.jpg

• Like 2

Here's one I dug out of an old drywash tailings pile a few weeks ago. It was deep. Thought it was gonna be a big specimen nugget :smile:

Found lots of axe heads poking around old ruins over the years too. Some guys clean them up and sell them on eBay. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DDancer said:

How about, and ax or my fav :)

Bart crop resize.jpg

Bart resize.jpg

I also found a shingle hatchet last weekend.  My 4th one. All are rusty except one from a tailing pile. so it never rusted much. also it went thru 2 fires in the past. it has douglas axe manufacturing and william hunt stamped on it. I have a couple regular wood axes also. Nice picture dancer

Here is a couple. one that is in better shape says douglas axe manufacturing.  William b. Hunt on it. not sure if you can see it in the pic very good. lot easier with an eye loop. 

20160321_200509.jpg

20160321_200605.jpg

• Like 2

I've just tossed them back in the hole before back filling, guess I could have saved a few. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By calabash digger
      Found a Union gun pit and went to work with the Deus..

• By Mark Gillespie
      Dug this hair barrette from a very old home site.

• By calabash digger
      Hit the Camp with my buddy....Equinox 800 was the detectors we used.

• By Mark Gillespie
      Had to do a little water hunting at a local baptizing hole.  Not submerged, just wading.
      VA & TENN
      DETECTIVE
      AGENCY

• By ColonelDan
      I and several detecting buddies supported a local museum a year ago by metal detecting a Second Seminole Indian War site that was occupied by the 2nd Dragoons from December 1837 to March of 1838. Below is just a sampling of our finds from that area. Many more uniform buttons, musket balls of various calibers and such not shown here came from our hunts.

We suspect that one of their supply boats either sank or capsized since all the finds below were in the same general 25 square yard area. In digging down to retrieve these artifacts, I did hit wood deep in the muck ergo our thoughts that these finds came from a lost boat.

The fort was constructed on the shores of a local lake and all finds thus far have been from that lake. We've yet to find the exact location of the fort itself but we have a good idea where it was. A modern road and house construction however prevents us from successfully searching the suspected area.

dragoon uniform button

period ring

buttons and a few musket balls

Bayonet with scabbard

I found this breast plate in knee deep water and 16 inches deep in the lake muck, This is just the way it came from the muck. No cleaning was needed!

raw anchor after encrustation was removed. It took two of us over 45 minutes to extract this anchor from the lake's muck.

preserved anchor

One of our displays we made for the museum.

We'll be headed back to the site in the coming year.
    • By kac
      Shook the dust off my ATP and spent a few hours stomping through the snow in the woods. Found a nice bronze skeleton key, IH in pretty good shape and this 3 cent trime which I never heard of before nor seen one. Wasn't too deep stuff tends to stay high in with the pine trees. First thought it was from a broken button or something.