How Many Of These Have You Dug Over The Years?

One broken axe head and one old stanley masons hammer 1860's or so. Usually skip big iron when possible as it gets heavy and slows me down.

What do you do? My wife called me over to check a signal and asked what do you thing. She was down 15 inches and getting a large signal. The area was close to a gold town minute away from a town street and also a historical marker stating 860+ nugget (can't remember exactly the weight) was found here. I got down 2 foot and at stage I was convinced it was IRON but I was not allowed to stop, I don't know were she found that whip😁. After another 6 inches part of a pick and rust revealed itself. What do you do? Do I dig it out, no it was too hard to get that deep. Fill the hole in and let someone else go through the same ordeal or do the worst detector CRIME and leave the hole open. Sorry folks but I have SINNED.😭

I've found a lot of hoes at these old sites.  Some are old Spanish mission period hand made/forged.  I always get a chuckle out of digging up a hoe as it takes me back to the Bill Ladd videos and his comments about hoes when he digs them up at his colonial cellar hole sites 🤣

I’ve found a few in the past 5-ish years, 2 hand forged and a more modern one. I know that I’ve sawed/“made” wood myself, and when an axe handle breaks, the axe head now serves as a wedge when needed...and it seems I lost a couple  just getting a tree to tip in the right direction. Just more easily lost/forgotten without the handle.

Its always cool to see the tools of yesteryear. It makes one understand how hard our predecessors had to work at what we might now view as an “easy” task.