A True Discriminating Pinpointer

6 hours ago, ☠ Cipher said:

Yes, that’s what I mean. When I had the ProFind 35 I had to be right on top of iron for the iron tone to engage, and by then I’m already distracted. It didn’t get the depth of my TRX or Tek-Point either, so I let it go, but I remember thinking that if it had more depth the iron tone might also see a bit further. The XPointer seems to be more of the TRX and Tek-Point caliber depth, and so I wondered if it carries its iron tone a little further out than the ProFind. 

I havent done a side by side comparison between the Profind and the Xpointer , I would say that their disc abilities and depth are similar .

But the Xpointer is much more sophisticated than the Profind with an embedded lithium battery  much better than the outdated Profind 9V battery system....  And it has a digital display with very useful infos like the battery level and the sensitivity level , while you have nothing for this on the Profind ...

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Geotech said:

I also have 2 of the Cache probes, a 1st-gen and a last-gen. If you remember the old AH Pro detectors from the late 70s, it's the same guy (AH = Allen Hametta). I think he's through building them. They use the same off-resonance technique as the AH Pro models did. The probe is a stainless steel tube with a stainless tip so, oddly enough, the (mono) coil is completely enclosed in metal. It's a good concept for pristine lawns since the probe can literally be stuck in the ground, no need to dig a hole.

It certainly worked well for me. If you get bored someday, and wanted to build something like that, I'd cetainly buy it from you. 😉

My main requirement for any pin pointer is that you must be able to grab it out of the holster and be able feel the on/off button without looking at the pinpointer ...that way you don't have to take your eyes off the target in the ground. 

strick

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, strick said:

My main requirement for any pin pointer is that you must be able to grab it out of the holster and be able feel the on/off button without looking at the pinpointer ...that way you don't have to take your eyes off the target in the ground. 

strick

That's a good requirement.

I think getting a pinpointer that turns on quickly and/or can stay without setting off a lost alarm are also underrated features.

On 3/11/2022 at 6:32 PM, longbow62 said:

I'm bored and it's snowing again here. No detecting until Sunday at the earliest.  Just thinking out loud is there a reason fancy discriminating pin-pointers are not a top priority? I've often thought about if it was possible to convert a Tesoro Mojave into a pin-pointer by somehow making a coil for it kinda like sunray did and mounting the detectors guts and speaker in a different box. You could control sensitivity and discrimination easily with the knobs. I'm not sure why Minelab or another company has not taken the pin-pointer to the obvious extreme of discrimination and wireless that might even read out on the detector screen in a pinpointer mode. Is that even possible or wanted. I don't chase a lot of iron looking for a target in a hole or plug that often, but it does frustrate me occasionally. The available pin-pointers seem pretty primitive except for the wireless XP pin-pointers. Again I'm bored and it's snowing. Off the top of my head it seems like a discriminating pin-pointer would be useful.

Late to this thread, but here is the link to my Tesoro conversion. I did try to sell this pistol pinpointer concept as having both real depth and discrimination, using off the shelf tech, but nobody has really done it t\right as of yet.

• Like 1

Yeah Steve your idea is similar to mine minus a hand held probe type coil.

One of the reasons I brought this up is I have a spot there is so much iron you can lose targets trying to find them. Seriously you hit a target circle it and determine it's good. When you try to dig it you have a devil of a time finding it because of iron nails and iron fragments everywhere can actually mask the target because you moved stuff around digging it. I don't think you can lay the pinpointer down anywhere without it going off. You can't dig them like like regular targets. You have to know exactly where it is and dig no more than needed. I can imagine trying to find tiny gold can be even more frustrating.

On 3/13/2022 at 5:57 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

It certainly worked well for me. If you get bored someday, and wanted to build something like that, I'd cetainly buy it from you. 😉

I’d be interested in one of your bad ones to take apart and see how it works (or doesn’t).

• 3 months later...
On 14.03.2022 at 05:41, mh9162013 said:

Это хорошее требование.

Я думаю, что наличие пинпоинтера, который быстро включается и/или может оставаться без срабатывания потерянного будильника, также является недооцененной функцией.

this problem has already been solved

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

The PRO-FIND 35  is pretty good.  I use it on vibrate only, ears need a break.  Had the garret also and it's  much handier but had to sell one and it's gone.  The pro 35 is hard to find the button when grabbing it but it's worth it.  I like the 9v  battery, lasts long and can switch fast. I never had one die in mid hunt.

21 hours ago, pavelka72 said:

this problem has already been solved

The original poster was seeking a discriminating (ferrous vs non-ferrous) pinpointer. A magnetic on/off switch does not solve that request. 

• Like 1