Part one: A tale of three objects

Goal to identify deep non-ferrous targets and compare signals before digging. Myself, on the Equinox and my friend on the Deus and VERY experienced Deus 1 user. Modes Beach 2 Equinox, Beach and Beach sensitive both tested on Deus

The Ring: I located what I was sure to be a deep nonferrous beyond TID range. Called my friend over and he could hear it as well and the Deus 2 would not tid lock either. He said it sounds bad to him, I said it sounded clean to me.  We now both know it was a ring. 

The Charm: I had a solid lock at 16 but I knew it was at the end of my tid range, as about one in every three swings would throw me another number. The Deus would not lock consistent and only gave a number one in about 6-8 swings. 

The Coin: A staple here to find. I buried it in the wet sand at the edge of my hearing it [about 15"]  But not too deep where I would not dig it. The Deus would not number lock, either but was real scratchy on signal. Not sure I would have dug it, my friend said he would of not dug it. 

Today, more searching for deep nonferrous and testing buried gold. 

IMG_1164.JPG

• Like 8

Thanks.  Mode information is great but settings are key.  Were settings at the factory defaults as far as you know?  If not, any idea on the reactivity (default 0) and salt sensitivity settings (9, 7 respectively for beach/beach sensitive) and were any filters invoked (silencer, bcap)?

How did it handle in the wet salt sand stability wise, and how did it handle EMI?

For grins, wondering how Dive would have done...even knowing that's not the mode that should be used in this situation.

Thanks for the report!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, midalake said:

Today, more searching for deep nonferrous and testing buried gold. 

So today we set out to accomplish the above. So both of the coins are the Mexican 50 centavo. Highly conductive[down to china] 

Green Coin:  This was another great soft no tid nonferrous look. The Equinox responded well around the target, the Deus 2 had it a little choppy at one angle, no tid, this would have been dug. 

Brighter coin: No tid by either machine but good clean tones a digger by both machines. 
Stainless ring: Was very deep, both machines no tid but both machines had a good 360 tone.
10k Gold ring testing: I buried the ring at my maximum depth for the Equinox,[around 11"] but still had a good solid no tid tone 360. The Deus struggled in every mode to give a good repeatable 360 tone. Very scratchy, as describe by the operator.  The only mode which made it a possible digger was the Beach Pitch mode, but was still an iffy digger. 

Tomorrow, I will get a half day on the Deus. Going to try some more deep non ferrous targets. 

IMG_1165.JPG

• Like 4

Well day four of testing and going to the different beach did not disappoint. Goals, more testing of nonferrous targets out of tid range, also gold testing.

The darkness and the glimmer. 

This beach is very old and populated, I knew we were in for plenty of out of range targets with no tid. The Deus was called over to at least a dozen targets that my Equinox would not tid on but I knew were nonferrous and had clean tones around the target, 360.

Several different factory beach modes were tried with no filters and reactivity at 0. It was frustrating to see the Deus not be able to get any tid what- so- ever and even more frustrating to see the Deus not be able to get clean tones 360 around these targets to confirm digging.

Every target pictured had the same results. The biggest let down was when one the final wild test targets was a US Nickle.  After this, and 1 1/2 hour's of testing.  I just told my friend to hunt and I would do the same.

IMG_1168.JPG

• Like 5

The Glimmer

The Deus hit gold. 

Toward the end of our hunt my friend called me over with and had a small Childs gold ring. We figure 5-6 inches down, said he had a solid lock at 54. 

We went into gold testing mode. First we took the same gold ring from yesterday that the Dues could not confirm good 360 tones on and wanted to test it on this other beach. The operator had made a few slight adjustments to some of the factory settings. This time, even though the Deus could still not tid the ring, the 360 tone was better. It had a non-confirming breakdown in one direction. Ring depth again was set near 11".
The found gold ring:  

We then took the small childs ring. I put it at the edge on my detection at 9" plus. We then concentrated on different factory settings and had similar results in the past with the Deus. We had difficulty confirming 360 nice tones to dig. 

Then because the operator is experienced with Deus, [1] we started to change some of the factory programs. Finally we were able to get the small ring to respond to a full 360 unbroken tone that I think anyone would of dug. We had the sensitivity at 94 but, could actually accomplish this turning the sensitivity down to 88, No tid, but did throw a positive number about every 6 swings. The numbers were all over the map. BTW, the ring was a solid 54 when he found it.  

I have hesitated to get behind the Deus 2, [more on that later]  but today after we get some settings smoothed out I am going to do some moving water recovery testing. Also will be working on deep nonferrous today as well.

IMG_1169.JPG

• Like 3
  • Oh my! 1

Last day of beach testing.

We put a big 5 hour session in. During this session we were able to accomplish getting the Deus to match the Equinox on deep nonferrous and still able to keep it huntable in the beach conditions we have. 

360 identification on non tid targets was much more acceptable. In almost all cases the target was identified correctly by the Deus and when removed was nonferrous. I am going to move to actual reviews on the machine in the Deus Forum.

Our testing on gold for this final day went well to. There was a definite matching of machines in performance, and the Deus was finally sounding off on solid non tid targets, 360 degrees around.  

If you have any questions, please ask.

We put 90 years of detecting experience between us to good use for the last 5 days.

e53beea1-5174-4aac-b572-a97e1116c925.JPG

• Like 9

Dave - Good news.  Was there a specific setting breakthrough (e.g., magnetic ground accept) or were there a series of settings tweaks needed to get you there?

Oh, word of warning, do not (re-)run the 0.6 update, it appears that XP has some unpleasant performance surprises in the “new” ver 0.6 (“Big TID”) update, besides losing update version number configuration control.

ps nice pic.  :smile:

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Dave - Good news.  Was there a specific setting breakthrough (e.g., magnetic ground accept) or were there a series of settings tweaks needed to get you there?

Oh, word of warning, do not (re-)run the 0.6 update, it appears that XP has some unpleasant performance surprises in the “new” ver 0.6 (“Big TID”) update, besides losing update version number configuration control.

ps nice pic.  :smile:

Yes told my friend before he left this morning not to do the download. 🙄

There was a series of settings we moved. Not really comfortable to just blurt them out yet. One day of running a machine is not conclusive enough. But users need to experiment.

I am 100% sure that factory setting will not beat the Equinox. Using my experience to locate deep nonferrous targets that would not tid was a gamechanger. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, midalake said:

Yes told my friend before he left this morning not to do the download. 🙄

There was a series of settings we moved. Not really comfortable to just blurt them out yet. One day of running a machine is not conclusive enough. But users need to experiment.

I am 100% sure that factory setting will not beat the Equinox. Using my experience to locate deep nonferrous targets that would not tid was a gamechanger. 

Just my 2 cents worth. Your friend was a newbie, as the Deus l was not a beach machine. Does he beach hunt a lot and if so what machine ? The NOX ? My Deus under salt conditions before my update had no problem with a 14k band 5.5 grams at 16 inches measured. I hope everybody buys a Equinox and Legend where I live. 🤣. The Equinox certainly opened up the beach to many more treasure seekers and it has put lots of gold on the table. And it’s apparent you are skilled with the Equinox. My point I guess is what I’m sure you have heard before, the machine is no better than the skills of the operator. Give your friend some time. Good luck everybody.

• Like 3