Found And Lost! 1909 S Vdb Lincoln Head Cent!

• The title was changed to Found And Lost! 1909 S Vdb Lincoln Head Cent!

I've seen several dug out here.  I dug a cherry 1909-S in San Francisco, it was entombed in greenish clay, must have been a fresh drop when lost. 

Anyhow, I've seen probably a dozen dug around here over the years.  Usually at park demos.

• Like 2

Great story. I enjoyed reading it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great writing, story telling, and childhood experience and thanks for sharing.Back in 1977 my lifelong digging partner and I were detecting a small Churchyard in Ukiah California and I got a right on the surface signal with my trusty old whites coin master which turned out to be a 1909 S VDB.We both came to the conclusion that another digger had most likely hit a spill and missed it all together or had lost it once again.

• Oh my! 1

5 hours ago, Doc Bach said:

Great writing, story telling, and childhood experience and thanks for sharing.Back in 1977 my lifelong digging partner and I were detecting a small Churchyard in Ukiah California and I got a right on the surface signal with my trusty old whites coin master which turned out to be a 1909 S VDB.We both came to the conclusion that another digger had most likely hit a spill and missed it all together or had lost it once again.

Thanks Doc! Great Find for sure! 

7 hours ago, Doc Bach said:

I grew up near Ukiah California.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I made many trips through the area seeking elusive Blacktail deer above Lake Mendocino. Beautiful country.

16 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Thats interesting.Who knows our paths may have crossed at some point in time? I became a serious antique bottle hunter, digger and collector in 1964 and got into detecting two years later.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Doc Bach said:

Thats interesting.Who knows our paths may have crossed at some point in time? I became a serious antique bottle hunter, digger and collector in 1964 and got into detecting two years later.

I grew up in Lakeport, mom worked for 25+ years in Ukiah and Redwood Valley in the wine industry.  Was always over in the Ukiah area for one thing or another.  Only got into detecting about 15 years or so years ago though.