Treasure Coast Shaken, Not Stirred?

• 3 weeks later...

Since the massive re-nourishment projects, I've been down there only a few times and the beaches that I visited are "sanded in" by dozens of dump trucks at each beach.  I'll wait until I see some improvement made by nature before driving that hundred mile round trip again.

• Like 3

I had a room on one of those beaches, 3 months during the winter.   Replenishing started west of me and the closer they came the worse it got. (The sand).    I imagine that with the beaches getting busier hunting could only gradually get better.

• Like 1

You are right, at Turtle Trail at the access, they have added sand up to the height of the old dune and out about 20+ feet. All that old productive area covered. At Seagrape within a week there was a huge cut about 5 feet high at the shore break. The access stairs that were just rebuilt were covered in sand about 6 feet deep.

It will be a while before and upper beach will be close to producing old items. Both pics are Seagrapes a month ago. The stakes show where the new buried access stairs turn towards the beach. the large cut makes it almost impossible for anyone except youth to get to the waters edge. And it was all from inshore ‘sand mines’.

This project started south of Sebastian inlet and continued all the way to Tracking station at Vero Beach.

HH

FB47FAD3-D0A8-4285-B0B5-DF088B1C2D7E.jpeg

DC5C210D-BF2A-4243-A0DC-50B61722AE87.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Oh my! 1

I just got back from the TC and I've never seen so much sand! From Melborne to Ft. Pierce, it looks like they have put down two to three times the sand they did a year ago and I overheard some workers at Seagrape discussing where they were going to put the next loads, so they're not done yet. It's going to take a monster storm to clear some of that off.

On an interesting note, I pulled a modern penny from 16 inches down in the low beach, so I was getting some depth, but nowhere close to deep enough for the old stuff.  Here's a shot of Turtle Trail last week.

Turtle Trail-1.JPEG

• Like 6
  • Oh my! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, this sucks for us near here! Due to all the new sand, I haven't bothered to do the TC beaches since last year!

Sad to say, but it's gonna take a harsh storm or three to get back to anything approaching 1715 fleet items!😞👍👍

• Like 2