Legend - First Impressions

On 3/19/2022 at 1:17 AM, JCR said:

Jeff,   Are you still running the stock programs or have you customized to any extent?

Park multi 1, ground discrimination setting, adjusted the tone breaks for iron, small gold, US nickels, zincolns, clad dimes/copper pennies, and quarters so each coin has one tone and isn’t straddling a tone break and adjusted the pitches to my classical music liking. 

• Like 4

George and chase please post about your results in hot dirt. Here in amherst virginia my dirt where I hunt is 4 and 5 bar most of my spots, I have to turn the nox down to sensitivity 14 speed 4 to cut out some of the ground feed back. So really looking for the best hot ground vlf and not seeing alot on these new detectors in hot dirt

• Like 1

Should be interesting. Good luck.

8 hours ago, Pedlar mills said:

George and chase please post about your results in hot dirt. Here in amherst virginia my dirt where I hunt is 4 and 5 bar most of my spots, I have to turn the nox down to sensitivity 14 speed 4 to cut out some of the ground feed back. So really looking for the best hot ground vlf and not seeing alot on these new detectors in hot dirt

I live south of Culpeper so not as hot. I only use a PI in Culpeper or my Blisstool.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 8:08 AM, Chase Goldman said:

George, can't wait to hear how it does.  Taking mine to Culpeper next week to see how it does against Equinox and D2 all with 11" coils.  I opted out of the 6" round, not my cup of tea.  Waiting for NM to release the planned 10x5 coil which is IMO a great form factor for hot dirt relic hunting (small footprint to counter ground noise effects but with decent coverage).  Let us know how it goes.

The basalt base never has liked a multi frequency. Neither does the Legend. Reads 60 when it gets close to the surface, However I only use detectors in the Goldfield mode at these sites and that did the trick using 20khz and Fi disc. pattern. I dug one impressive target that was at pinpointer length with the 5 inch coil. A parasol ring came up. Did not dig any target with a number under 30 as these are mostly foil and small lead. Thats about it for now. Whoever thinks the detector is to slow to react in wall to wall iron certainly needs some more time using the detector. Hope you did well. Let us know. Thanks

• Like 2

Central Va. is all about the Geology. My crushed basalt driveway goes right to 60 when you place the stock coil on it. Another slab, (Not basalt) reads in the low 20s but when you GB it GB at 81. When I GB the crushed driveway it reads 3. Nice. Enter the wet beach program. Seems to handle the bedrocks allot better after the initial ground balance which was zero. Oh my. My next trip I will use the stock coil and use Wet Beach. Did those tube people every here of turning down the sensitivity?

• Like 4

I'm tired.  Time to go away until I learn more. Take care.

10 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The results in the dirt at this site show that the Legend exhibits minimal up averaging down to 7” in its multi frequency modes.

Excellent study, Jeff.  3-->4 bars on the F19 is more mineralized than my typical ground and I see VDI degradation on all single frequency detectors before getting down to 7" depth.  The Fisher F75 won't do it.  Minelab Equinox in 4 kHz single frequency mode (only SF I've tested in my garden) won't either.  So far the Legend is living up to its pre-release claims, IMO.

Sounds like your mom has the right attitude.  Heck, you could take her detecting.  I think I'd wear out before she would.

10 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Excellent study, Jeff.  3-->4 bars on the F19 is more mineralized than my typical ground and I see VDI degradation on all single frequency detectors before getting down to 7" depth.  The Fisher F75 won't do it.  Minelab Equinox in 4 kHz single frequency mode (only SF I've tested in my garden) won't either.  So far the Legend is living up to its pre-release claims, IMO.

Sounds like your mom has the right attitude.  Heck, you could take her detecting.  I think I'd wear out before she would.

Thanks Chuck,

I am trying to just report what I find in the limited hunting conditions and targets in the area I am in. I am headed back to Colorado this weekend and then on to Montana to meet my first grandson. I will take the Legend with me for sure. So far it has proven to be as advertised for coins and jewelry by my testing and hunts which means it is a direct and viable competitor of the Equinox in moderate mineralization.

My mother is pretty fearless but at the same time she rarely gets too upset by any challenge. However, rolling a wheelchair on wet, uneven ground is already something that she has declined to do. Maybe in a few weeks she will be able to get outside more.

• Like 3