Legend - First Impressions

Bless your mother and you for being there for her. My mother will be a hundred come November. Theses girls came up in hard times and takes a lot to put one of them down for long  

The best to you.

Chuck 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Legend - First Impressions

Glad your Mum is managing.  I like your test kit--this is the way to learn a machine and see what it does. 

cjc

• Like 1

I am also similarly impressed so far with my Legend. After logging 8 hrs. testing & playing with settings in my test garden I finally had a chance to take it on a real hunt. It did very well on my hard hunted race track site. This is low mineral sandy ground with lots of nails & bad EMI. The last few hunts here have only produced 4-6 small low conductor targets for 2-3 hour efforts and no real keepers. The Legend ran stable & quiet @ 22-25 Sens, TH @ 8 in Field M2  4 tone, first TB @ 7, Recovery speed mostly 4. The audio has a lot of intelligence and the TID is very confident & accurate. I had very few targets that were iffy or surprised me. Big Iron is easy to tell. Co located targets also. I only dug 2 deep small nails & 2 small pieces of very rusty tin can that fooled me. The preset Iron Bias did a good job. More time on the machine will help. I ended up after 4 hours with 18 Non Ferrous targets, including several keepers, most co located with 3D iron. Some of them were very small, like one brass boot eyelet @ 2".  The 11" stock coil is very sensitive but still works efficiently/effectively thru the nails very well. I did notice it is a little knock sensitive above 20 sensitivity.  I did not hunt with the 6" yet but in the test garden it will hit 8" targets just fine. I am still running V1.04. I'm still testing on high minerals but it seems to do quite well.

• Like 2

Good report, Jeff.  Please keep them coming.  Couple questions below:

12 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

So, in less than 6 hours of hunting with the Legend in moderate and high iron mineralization, the Legend has detected a .2 gram 10K gold opened hoop earring, a bling ring, 4 other bling earrings, a 1942 wheat penny, a 1962 silver Rosie and over $10 in modern US clad coins........... I will happily take those results and I haven't even moved out of 6 tone Park M1 yet!!!  (emphasis mine)

What is the mineralization condition in the park you found the 8" Roosie?  And are you going to get a chance to detect while you're up in Montana?  Enjoy the trip and the visit with your family, including its newest member.

12 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Good report, Jeff.  Please keep them coming.  Couple questions below:

What is the mineralization condition in the park you found the 8" Roosie?  And are you going to get a chance to detect while you're up in Montana?  Enjoy the trip and the visit with your family, including its newest member.

Mineralization bar on Deus 1 at that park is 3/4ths full. 

Unfortunately I won’t get any time to hunt here in Montana

• Like 1

Well, for those who want my first real world opinion……..it really is just my opinion gained from the sites I have hunted which are all moderate to extreme iron mineralization sites…….here it is.

If you are looking for your first simultaneous multi frequency detector for coin, jewelry and relic hunting and some of that detecting may involve fresh water hunting AND you are on a tight budget say around $500 to $600 US, you currently have two viable choices. The Equinox 600 and the Legend. At this time after thousands of hours using an Equinox 600 and less than 20 hours using a Legend, I would pick the Legend every time, everyday. 

I am not going to go too far into the whys of my opinion. However, basically the Legend has a feature set that is very close to the Equinox 800 and is far more feature rich than the Equinox 600 with very similar performance on the targets mentioned above.

So, I would skip over the Vanquish series, the Garrett APEX and the Equinox 600 and go straight to the Legend for anyone that is considering those detectors for purchase and has budget constraints.

Until Nokta Makro straighten out the saltwater beach performance and the adjustable iron bias settings through an update along with releasing the 10X5” elliptical coil, I will not compare the Legend any further to the more expensive competition as far as saltwater and gold prospecting detecting.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I also had a chance to hunt on some higher mineral ground with the Legend this weekend. This is a red dirt relic site I have hunted pretty hard with the Anfibio Multi, Vista X & Tarsacci MDT 8000. The clay ground balances out on the Tarsacci around 850-900. There are plenty of nails in the best spots but no modern trash. If it's not a nail, you dig it on this site, including the big iron. Targets are old.  Running Field mode in 4 tone, M2, first TB @7, sensitivity 20-22, Recovery speed @4. GB about 68. I dug 18+ non ferrous targets, mostly small low & mid conductors at 4-6" with fairly good, narrow TIDs. Keepers included a parasol slide, cuff size flat button, fired pistol ball, half of a toe tap, 2 other buttons, a lever from a musical instrument or small weighing scale, US marked brass horse bridle piece?. I also purposely dug some nice big iron.  I have a test Nickle @ 8" that hit soft but solid with good TID. Overall the detector did very well in handling the ground conditions & small iron finding good targets. I'm happy that the SMF seems to give a different look than my other detectors.

The Legend is a good addition for me.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

(Equinox 800) Target IDs were only slightly up averaged or wider than normal on these targets so that an 8” US nickel would respond with 11, 12, 13 and 14 target ID numbers instead of just 12/13. That same slight spreading of target ID numbers also occurred with the other coins. In addition, the high iron content of the ground also created some minor occurrences of minus numbers and 39/40s along with the accompanying tones on all of those deeper coin sized targets while running the Equinox 800’s iron bias set to F2 = 3 using Park 1.

The Legend also was used at this site for two hours and its results were so similar to the Nox 800 as to be uncanny. It had no trouble detecting and correctly identifying the same types of coin sized targets and pull tabs at similar depths.  (emphasis mine)

Excellent, detailed report, Jeff.  I highlighted a couple things which I would like more explanation.  Specifically, did the Legend dTID's also spread out and/or up-average for the deepest coins, similar to the Equinox's performance characteristics?