Gem Silica - Many Aren't Aware Of A Very Valuable Mineral

That's really cool Jason, thanks for the post.

• Like 1

If you can drill that rock with a 5/8" or larger" carbide drill in an electric hammer drill, you can pour an expandable grout into the holes call Dexpan--Home Depot--or? It's reputed to break rock with a minimum of violence. I haven't tried it. Also your gemstone with inclusions should bring some good $$ from all the people taking up cabochon cutting whether as a hobby or business. Plenty of wild rough stone being sold on eBay. But if your stone turns out to be really gemmy, then to Tucson, and you'll probably sell out.

16 hours ago, YubaJ said:

If you can drill that rock with a 5/8" or larger" carbide drill in an electric hammer drill, you can pour an expandable grout into the holes call Dexpan--Home Depot--or? It's reputed to break rock with a minimum of violence.

I drilled about 15 5/8" holes before my rotary hammer ran out of batteries. I prefer feathers and wedges over Dexpan because they are quicker though. And I find the tap-tap-tapping of the hammer and cracking of the rock to be relaxing. 🔨

Two of the feathers/wedges are visible in this picture.

image.png.ee8ac4e25da95ab343f71a8444c7e97b.png

Next time I'm going to get some bigger pieces out with my concrete saw though, which is the opposite of relaxing to run.

• Like 5