What Does A Break In The Threshold Mean?

5 hours ago, martygene said:

thank you master...

You have got a lot excellent answers. To me a simple answer is something has change and needs consideration as it could be your best find at the limit of your detector.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 1:01 PM, martygene said:

I just watched a video made by metal detecting NYC and the other guy that he was detecting with used that break in the threshold as an indicator of a good target. And it turn out to be was deep too. What actually does that break do? What is it blanking out on?  Without getting into specific detectors, do any of you use that as part of your analysis of a target. I do know what threshold his but never did much with it as I have very bad hearing and any other sound (or lack there of) makes it even more difficult for me to hear good signals. 

Metal Detecting NYC really praises Phillipthenox as one of the best with the equinox and while he does pull some good stuff i dont think he fully understands the equinoxs menu.  I'm assuming he wants to use fe2 since 0 in fe2 has less bias than 0 on fe.  He has fe and fe2 in 0 and then exits the menu with fe selected. 

From the manual:  

The iron bias fe and iron bias fe2 settings profiles are independent.  When iron bias fe is selected, the iron bias fe2 settings has no effect, and vice versa. 

Basically whichever setting is on the screen when you exit the menu, is the one it uses.  

I don't think many people know this and I'm just trying to spread the knowledge. 

Hunting with discrimination and threshold is one way to filter through all the noise in a trashy area. Instead of hearing all those low to mid tones that he discriminated out, he only hears a break In the threshold.  Notifying him that there is something there but not giving him an ID on it.  This allows you to move over the trash quicker.

Hunting with no discrimination or threshold, the "break" in the threshold would have probably been displayed as a -4 to -6 .  You'd still be able to tell that there was a deep silver coin there based on the one way iron, one way silver ID.

I prefer to hunt in all metal and filter the tones out with my brain instead of discrimination and threshold.  

• Like 3