Update

Carolina

On 3/20/2022 at 9:23 PM, SwiftSword said:

Is there a depth reduction if you're an atheist? 😄

The ways of heaven are inscrutable my son, even with an XP detector.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, la torche said:

The ways of heaven are inscrutable my son, even with an XP detector.

But now with XP know that you are on the right track.

• Haha 1

Yeah, if anything, XP is doing their part to keep me away from organized religion.

1. Update is Windows only. Had to get a copy of Windows running on my Mac, which is a time-consuming PITA. 
  2. The manual says full instructions are available on the XP website. If so, they have hidden them well. The update page only contains the update file itself. I found instructions here in the forum, but I have no idea where I would have gotten these otherwise. In actually running the update program, I realized that the arrow keys take me through the steps I have to do, and the process was easy once I had cottoned on, but it would have been nice to have more details before I do something that might brick my machine. None of the buttons in the app are labeled either, or have tooltips. I realize they save money by not having to localize their software, but I'm not playing "MYST" here. Even French labels would have been more useful than none at all. A particular twist is that you can't update the headphones with the three-prong cable you use to update the remote. You have to use the separately provided single USB cables. Again, without the instructions I linked above, I would have been completely up the creek, as there are no warnings or error messages that would let you know about this. The updater just reaches screen 10 of 10 and sits there. 
  3. I find the manual woefully thin for the machine's complexity. I personally could do with a lot more narrative around the different display modes, for instance. I also find the font choice, organization and layout very hard to digest. 

I'm a relative beginner (1 year experience on a Vanquish 540) using an advanced machine, and am well aware that I have a steep learning curve to climb. My gripe is that XP doesn't seem to offer a lot of guidance on where to acquire this knowledge. Is it worth buying a book on the original Deus? 

Edit: Update is done. Had to re-pair my headphones. Settings timestamp is now 3/11/22. I'll do a depth test later today. Hopefully all is well. 

1 hour ago, SwiftSword said:

I'm a relative beginner using an advanced machine, and am well aware that I have a steep learning curve to climb. My gripe is that XP doesn't seem to offer a lot of guidance on where to acquire this knowledge. Is it worth buying a book on the original Deus?

Good attitude.  The key, IMO, is to enjoy the detector while you're learning.  Sometimes here on this site (and others) it seems from reading posts that there is little to learn about a new detector.  In some cases that's coming from people who think they know more than they do, but in other cases it's coming from people who are so experienced that they pretty much know what all the settings mean and can step through them pretty quickly to find the optimal set for their situation.  For many of us it takes quite a while to get comfortable with and confidence in a new device.

Maybe @Chase Goldmancan answer your question about getting a book.  He probably played a role in the Deus 1 book, but better yet he may be in the know about a new one coming out for the Deus 2.  (Is there one in the works?  I have no idea, but I'd bet on it.)

• Like 1

Oh yes, I'm all for learning by doing! It just goes so much better when there is some guidance or reference material that explains why I'm doing something. Otherwise you only learn what you have discovered, and nothing else. That may not be the best, or intended, way to do things, and it's a great way to miss out on features. I'd like to understand what I'm doing, so that I can get the most out of the machine. 

• Like 1

What I don’t find ( or understand) in the manual, I usually will find here in the postings of this forums very knowledgeable members. I’m sure I’ll get an XP Deus 2 book as soon as it’s published. I can’t imagine one not being written. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

I am not seeing any issues with the 3-11-22 version of the 0.6 update.

Me neither !!! I bet Calabash had the 3-11-22 version on his video and had no idea.

• Like 2