Update

Carolina

I'd expect loss of programs, I guess its annoying! Very easy to have them again imo naming if is the biggest time consuption! 

I'm gonna baseline a few yard targets to see if .7 is on the up and up! My unit is still on january .6 now and I've been loving it! 

Goodluck fellas

• Like 1

I find it a very bad style of XP that the customer programs are deleted during the update. Is there another company that does this? The electronic devices that I own, my data is not deleted during the update. I think of my depth sounder, GPS, Wlan-Router etc..

1 hour ago, PeterED said:

I find it a very bad style of XP that the customer programs are deleted during the update. Is there another company that does this? The electronic devices that I own, my data is not deleted during the update. I think of my depth sounder, GPS, Wlan-Router etc..

Yes the same thing happened to my saved user program on my Equinox when updated. I think it's because each update has been a full system update requiring erasure of all previous software and full install of the new software. It's really not a big deal if you write your saved user settings down before updating. High tech problems sometimes require low tech solutions. 😎

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PeterED said:

Welcome to the XP update process, which has changed little over the past 10+ years.  Not that it makes it right, but this has been the case for XP updates since the Deus 1 first came out.  

Despite complaints in this regard ramping up since perhaps the last two major updates on Deus 1 (i.e., Ver 4.x and 5.x), at least, XP has decided to stubbornly continue with their update process basically wiping the memory clean as part of update process to better ensure the update is starting from a known, clean state (I surmise).  Furthermore, even though this approach is less desirable to the end user, it does ensure that custom program settings are appropriately aligned to the latest feature set wherein new adjustable parameter settings ranges may be introduced or new adjustable parameters are introduced or eliminated.  This approach ensures the custom program settings are never set up to be in an unknown or invalided state because they invoke settings that may no longer exist or reside outside of the valid range due to the most recent update (e.g., imagine if they reduced the iron volume adjustable range from 0 to 5 to 0 to 3 or if the eliminated the “silencer” feature)

However, I am sure that there are more sophisticated ways to provide for program software integrity that does not necessitate wiping the user’s custom programs.  It would be a welcome change if XP explored those avenues.

At the very least, it would be helpful if XP is going to continue wiping custom programs that they provide a tool to enable custom programs to be generated and uploaded (and/or saved external to the remote) so they can be quickly reloaded onto the remote using a computer or phone interface as an alternative to the relatively awkward approach of using the RC interface to edit and save custom program settings.

But to be honest, the most arduous aspect of XP Deus custom program entry is entering the custom program name.  It’s one level below the hell of trying to send text using nothing but the numerical keypad on a flip phone or programming your early 1980’s vintage VCR.  So if there was an easier way of designating the custom program name without having to enter each letter individually (i.e., using the preloaded source program’s name as the starting point) that alone would make life a lot easier.  All we can do is continue to ask XP to consider adding this capability.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

But to be honest, the most arduous aspect of XP Deus custom program entry is entering the custom program name.  It’s one level below the hell of trying to send text using nothing but the numerical keypad on a flip phone or programming your early 1980’s vintage VCR.

Can you just not enter an alphanumeric ID/name, or easily enter just a number?  No one should forget that the aging competition -- Minelab Equinox 800 -- has only one user memory slot (no need for a name there) and is somewhat of a PiTA to activate.

I didn't realize ML Eqx updates wiped the user slot, but Steve H. recommends factory reset both before and after updates on that device.  Maybe it's more of an annoyance in these early stages (for both the D2 and Legend) since updates are arriving on a ~monthly basis.

While I'm on my soapbox (and you're still reading -- plural form of 'you' not aimed at anyone in particular), why do people expect these small companies to provide everything Microsoft, Apple, AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile,... provide.  They have, what, <0.1% of the customers those companies have??  Last I looked you still have the option not to make a purchase.

In the old days people had to go to the trouble of actually (by hand or typewriter) writing a letter-to-the-editor and mailing it to a newspaper.  Nowadays, pitch a bitch on a whim with virtually no effort (and sometimes the same amount of thought).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Since we are discussing "first world problems" here, what REALLY irks me is that XP had the nerve to shorten the custom program names from 9 characters on the D1 to only 7 on the D2 !! 😄 To be honest, it does actually annoy me. 😉  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PeterED said:

Save a program to P20, P22, P23 or P24. The name of the memory location is always P2.
I reported this to XP France in februrary. No reply to my feedback.

Reported few minutes ago, thx to you and the person who report it on FB ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1