White's MX Sport - Sweet Home, We Have A Problem

Guest Paul (Ca)

Thanks Tom for the update, yes one of those MX Sports on the bench is mine :)

Looking so forward to getting it back, can't wait to take her out again.

Enjoy your prospecting hunt, hope you find a nugget of two with both the GMT and TDI, two great nugget finders!

Thanks again for your help!

Paul

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 3:17 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

The grab and hold long audio can be a benefit to some people where targets are very deep and sparse. Beach hunters in particular may be happier with that ability to make a faint hit sound like a boomer target. It is not a defect, it is a way of doing things that may or may not work for people. It would be a non-issue had White's not make statements indicating the behavior I observed should be different than it was.

Hi Steve H and all

love the forum , but most of all Steve your politeness and  honesty .

ok so does this mean that there is two types of MXS?

one with the long hold audio, for deeper target,  and the new program for faster target response but no so deep?

would be a good idea to have a switch, so we can choose between the two, because having the option to switch between quick target tones for areas for high trash areas and slow target tones for areas that are not trashy?

I would prefer to switch the MXS to my preference rather than being forced to use only quick target tone with fast target update.

just my thoughts Rod

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Rod, and thank you.

The preferred option would be an adjustable recovery control, as target separation and depth is usually a trade off. In this case it is an open question however as the audio drag with tones activated seems to be far in excess of what would be considered normal. It may be that we will see no depth loss even with a more rapid turnover in tones with better separation.

Consider however that on one hand White's is basically saying the original firmware run is not something they think everyone needs, yet every new machine from here on out will have the new firmware. It does raise the question of whether early first version machines might be sought after by some people, as has occurred with other detectors. The first run Garrett Infinium machines were extra hot, but it caused stability issues in salt water. The machine was toned down in later versions, leading some to want those early hot models. A similar thing occurred with an early Gold Bug Pro version. We really will not know reality until people who have early versions that were upgraded can report back with a before / after synopsis. Lets hope there is no reason to not have the firmware upgrade done.

I considered hanging on to mine as is and acquiring an upgraded unit to compare directly but to be honest that just boiled down to more trouble than it was worth to me. I am ready to just go detecting, not chase down obscure performance issues in machines.

• Like 1

I just tested the updated Mx Sport, and am extremely happy with the results! The recovery speed is very good. I was running it against my F75 Ltd, and it could hang with it! I've been through every mode, in ground testing, air testing, and I can't find a thing wrong with It. It's a superb performer and value at this price point and beyond. I could play a song with this thing in 20 tone mode, it's good. I've had coins extremely close together and it will pick them out at a very brisk sweep speed. This update is a real game changer for this unit in my opinion! If you've seen my channel, you know that I've used and reviewed many units. This version is very good. I feel confident that I could hunt with anyone without a worry. I just pulled a large cent out of extreme trash with this unit. I'm very satisfied with the results of the changes Whites has made. Remember that there have been growing pains with units from many manufacturers. Faulty coils, no cam locks, pinpoint bugs. All sorts of issues from different companies. I give Whites a great deal of credit for jumping on this quickly, and fixing it! Top quality company that stands behind their products. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Carolina Coin Hunter said:

I just tested the updated Mx Sport, and am extremely happy with the results! The recovery speed is very good. I was running it against my F75 Ltd, and it could hang with it! I've been through every mode, in ground testing, air testing, and I can't find a thing wrong with It. It's a superb performer and value at this price point and beyond. I could play a song with this thing in 20 tone mode, it's good. I've had coins extremely close together and it will pick them out at a very brisk sweep speed. This update is a real game changer for this unit in my opinion! If you've seen my channel, you know that I've used and reviewed many units. This version is very good. I feel confident that I could hunt with anyone without a worry. I just pulled a large cent out of extreme trash with this unit. I'm very satisfied with the results of the changes Whites has made. Remember that there have been growing pains with units from many manufacturers. Faulty coils, no cam locks, pinpoint bugs. All sorts of issues from different companies. I give Whites a great deal of credit for jumping on this quickly, and fixing it! Top quality company that stands behind their products. 

did you already receive the machine you bought and sent in for the update or are you a tester and whites sent you an updated machine to try? 

The machine was actually over some large trash objects in that particular shot. There was lots of sheet metal and other objects from a dilapidated house and shed on and in the ground. I noticed some response from the pinpointer, but nothing out of the ordinary. I've seen the same thing with most of my machines when I was that close to the coil.

Whites did let me try a machine. As you can see from my channel I try to test out as many as I can. My personal unit that I bought is going back for the update.

Thanks  for your reply Steve

us Australians are waiting for the MXS fix , I'm on the waiting list, so when Whites is ready to send to OZ I  can have a detect,

I have  got 3 sites , one is an old Pub....a place where you could buy a beer , tie up the horse and stay the night, two old homestead sites ,from the 1850s  but there is a lot of iron trash, and sends the TDI bonkers , and the beach is only an hours drive, so got plenty of places to go detecting.

closest goldfield is 10 min away.

Rod

ps I hope your out in goldfields good luck.

9 hours ago, ROD said:

I have  got 3 sites , one is an old Pub....a place where you could buy a beer , tie up the horse and stay the night, two old homestead sites ,from the 1850s  but there is a lot of iron trash, and sends the TDI bonkers , and the beach is only an hours drive, so got plenty of places to go detecting.

It's 9:55 AM at this moment, I'm not an avid beer drinker and have none in the house but after reading your post, strangely, a beer sounds good about now.:smile:      

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked