White's MX Sport - Sweet Home, We Have A Problem

If one will look at the plug on the detector on the coil side you will see 8 pins. Now I don't know but I don't think you need 8 pins for a DD coil. It may not be it but it could be a port to get in to the detector to change the program.

I've said this before but when the eagle came out in 1990 I think you could send it back and for 125.00 White's would update it to a Eagle 2. I got the Eagle 2 in 1991 from Kellyco and it has never needed repair. It is the best coin detector I have ever own. I only used two programs most of the time and that was coin and coin & jewelry.

It's just been in the last 8 years that I've had another detector in my hands. Before that it had to be White's are not at all.

Chuck

Hey Tom

It would be great if a simple fix in the program can be made before this snow ball gets too big. The only trouble I see but I'd be more than happy to send my MXS back in to get the up date on the program.

I can have it on the way back by tomorrow morning if not sooner.Haha

Thanks for hearing us.

Chuck

Alright, just got back from "the pits" where we test our gear. We're sending out a few units for further testing and tweaking, but the engineers figured out the issue. The dev unit they re-programmed didn't have any of the tone-smearing I experienced with a unit that had the issue - audio response is snappy and accurate with the fix. So there won't be a problem with hanging/locking tones on any units produced after today.

If you're having this problem on your MX Sport (only had 2 or 3 reports of it so far out of several hundred shipped) then we will need to re-program it at the factory. Which sucks, but we owe it to anyone who's not happy with our products. I'll talk to the team tomorrow to see what that process entails. In the mean time we're still getting positive feedback and a lot of finds on our Facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/whiteselectronics/posts_to_page/

We don't censor people's feedback (unless it's really offensive), and luckily haven't had to contend with any bad reviews yet. I count Steve's as an "airing of concerns," not a bad review. And hopefully, since we learn from and FIX our mistakes, we'll keep you guys happy.

• Like 4

Any time I have ever dealt with White's customer service it has been nothing but positive and they have went out of their way to remedy the situation. I would like to add a few comments about the MX Sport. First the detector had good depth and seemed to ID targets pretty accurately. Now things that can be improved. The modulation is not very good. It only seems to modulate the last inch or so of depth. With modulation on you get a double beep on shallow targets.  It would be nice to have a high tone on the nickel notch as an option in the coin and jewelry mode that way a person does not have to stare at the screen to try and ID nickels in the midst of the trash. I think White's really needs to let people who are hard core detectorist do the testing on units. People who are not afraid to give honest feedback and have years of experience. Let some hardcore beach, relic and coin hunters test them.  Not people who are going to tickle your ears.  

• Like 3

Thanks Bill, appreciate your input. We do let hardcore users test our detectors but everyone has different needs. 'You can make some of the people happy all of the time, you can make all of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time.'

We're trying, and for higher-end models it's definitely worth getting more heavy metal heads involved. The MX Sport has a pretty broad appeal, but we don't want to leave our power users out of things.

50 minutes ago, tboykin said:

Thanks Bill, appreciate your input. We do let hardcore users test our detectors but everyone has different needs. 'You can make some of the people happy all of the time, you can make all of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time.'

We're trying, and for higher-end models it's definitely worth getting more heavy metal heads involved. The MX Sport has a pretty broad appeal, but we don't want to leave our power users out of things.

Ha, what tboykin is saying is true, as a coin hunter, I don't really care about prospecting, beach or relic hunting...lol

I hope Whites has found a fix for the long/smear tone, I am using 20 tones right now, it seems to help with the problem. The MXSport is as deep in my test garden as my old MXT, just not crazy about the tone issue.

It's great to hear something can be done to fix the problem people are having. On the air test with different coins on depth what I see wasn't that good. Even on the 10 inch coil with the sensitivity set at 8 I couldn't get past 10 inch on the silver quarter. I guess I've seen so many people doing air test and getting lots more depth than I did. I never got out of the coin & jewelry program and maybe they did. If in the field with the sensitivity too high I may not have heard the target anyway.

I'll try the all metal mode next time but this is not where I want to be in the field.

On the looks of the MXS is outstanding.You can't help but like the big screen and no trouble seeing what's on it. I do wish the stand put the detector higher off the ground. This way the handle under your arm wouldn't hit the ground each time you put your detector down.

Chuck  

10 minutes ago, cadman said:

I hope Whites has found a fix for the long/smear tone, I am using 20 tones right now, it seems to help with the problem. The MXSport is as deep in my test garden as my old MXT, just not crazy about the tone issue.

Fix is in place, will hit the factory tomorrow.

• Like 3