Legend Update!

The update version is 1.05 and this update includes features and/or improvements which are not included in the user manual or differ from the explanations in the manual.

Updates Made :
1. Pinpoint function has been improved.
2. M 1 Multi Frequency parameters have been updated.
3. Audio alert for Automatic Frequency Shift (Noise Cancellation) completion has been extended.
4. Factory default Tone Break value has been changed from 11 to 10 in Park mode.
5. Ferrous Off Discrimination Pattern has been updated to reject IDs between 1-10 in Park & Field modes.
6. Threshold audio level has been increased in Gold mode.
7. Audio response during ground balancing in Gold mode has been updated.
8. Backlight levels have been re-configured.
9. Bugs have been fixed.

The second update will come in the upcoming weeks including an iron bias setting as well as beach advancements and any other suggestions we get from the actual users that we can implement.

THANK YOU!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

A pinpointer that links to the Legend is in the works 👍

I assume this means a wireless inline probe that links to the Legend, basically working like a Sunray wired probe?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I assume this means a wireless inline probe that links to the Legend, basically working like a Sunray wired probe?

Probably more like a variant to the existing wireless Pulse Dive that links to the NM proprietary wireless  “Green” phones (I used that with Simplex) but with a Bluetooth APTX-LL link so it can be used with the Legend or Legend BT phones.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Probably more like a variant to the existing wireless Pulse Dive that links to the NM proprietary wireless  “Green” phones (I used that with Simplex) but with a Bluetooth APTX-LL link so it can be used with the Legend or Legend BT phones.  

So essentially you just get the pinpointer beeping through the headphones, but it's in AM mode not utilizing the detector then right?    If it was inline like a Sunray probe that would be a home run. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

So essentially you just get the pinpointer beeping through the headphones, but it's in AM mode not utilizing the detector then right?    If it was inline like a Sunray probe that would be a home run. 

Don't get your hopes up too high on this.  There are more than a few challenges with this. 

First, when you say SunRay probe you will get a variety of opinions as to whether the SunRay was actually a successfully implemented concept.  Folks complained about the In line switch and cable because the probe simply looked like another (albeit low capability) wired induction balance dual coil to the detector.  For target ID it required probe motion in the presence of the target to work properly and it had limited detection range and ability to control sensitvity at the probe itself which made it hard to zero in on the target.  They were also relatively expensive compared to self-contained pinpointers. As a result, SunRay inline probes garnered a love-hate following amongst detectorists and they never really set the detecting world on fire.

So, to make a wireless pinpointer work like a Sunray probe with target ID, the probe itself has to be dual coil, induction balance with motion ID and recognized as such by the Legend.  Essentially being a wireless coil like on the Deus.

XP makes their wireless coils work with a proprietary, low latency wireless system that is NOT Bluetooth.  I have only seen one other company attempt wireless coils (using Bluetooth) and that's the largely technically unsuccessful, crowd-sourced Air Metal Detector.

XP has a wireless probe that integrates with the Deus/Deus 2 but it is purely a proximity probe without ferrous/non-ferrous TID because it uses pulse induction.  Do you know what other probe uses pulse induction?  That's right, NM's wireless Pulse Dive.  So if NM is merely developing a BT variant of the Pulse Dive, it will just be a proximity probe with no ID. 

If, however, NM goes with a wireless PP that emulates the crude ferrous/non-ferrous tone ID functionality of say Quest's XPointer Max (or the similar but inferior Minelab Pro 35) you might get crude tone ID through the phones.  XPointer Max has its own drawbacks though including a tendency to overload and limited proximity probe disc and detection distance.

In other words, the state of the technology today is you either get a great wireless proximity pinpointer or crude ferrous/non-ferrous tone ID probe with poor to mediocre pinpointing ability 

It will be interesting to see where NM takes this but if it is anything other than a crude ferrous/non-ferrous tone ID implementation or the more likely BT variant of the Pulse Dive, I would be surprised.  

But NM is always surprising us with the great technical innovation with its detecting equipment.  So I never say never...

Not trying to rain on the hopes for SunRay like capabilities, just keeping it real.

Maybe Dilek can chime in here at the appropriate time to give us a better idea where NM is headed in this regard with their integrated Legend BT  pinpointer development and planned features.

10 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Don't get your hopes up too high on this.  There are more than a few challenges with this. 

First, when you say SunRay probe you will get a variety of opinions as to whether the SunRay was actually a successfully implemented concept.  Folks complained about the In line switch and cable because the probe simply looked like another (albeit low capability) wired induction balance dual coil to the detector.  For target ID it required probe motion in the presence of the target to work properly and it had limited detection range and ability to control sensitvity at the probe itself which made it hard to zero in on the target.  They were also relatively expensive compared to self-contained pinpointers. As a result, SunRay inline probes garnered a love-hate following amongst detectorists and they never really set the detecting world on fire.

So, to make a wireless pinpointer work like a Sunray probe with target ID, the probe itself has to be dual coil, induction balance with motion ID and recognized as such by the Legend.  Essentially being a wireless coil like on the Deus.

XP makes their wireless coils work with a proprietary, low latency wireless system that is NOT Bluetooth.  I have only seen one other company attempt wireless coils (using Bluetooth) and that's the largely technically unsuccessful, crowd-sourced Air Metal Detector.

XP has a wireless probe that integrates with the Deus/Deus 2 but it is purely a proximity probe without ferrous/non-ferrous TID because it uses pulse induction.  Do you know what other probe uses pulse induction?  That's right, NM's wireless Pulse Dive.  So if NM is merely developing a BT variant of the Pulse Dive, it will just be a proximity probe with no ID. 

If, however, NM goes with a wireless PP that emulates the crude ferrous/non-ferrous tone ID functionality of say Quest's XPointer Max (or the similar but inferior Minelab Pro 35) you might get crude tone ID through the phones.  XPointer Max has its own drawbacks though including a tendency to overload and limited proximity probe disc and detection distance.

In other words, the state of the technology today is you either get a great wireless proximity pinpointer or crude ferrous/non-ferrous tone ID probe with poor to mediocre pinpointing ability 

It will be interesting to see where NM takes this but if it is anything other than a crude ferrous/non-ferrous tone ID implementation or the more likely BT variant of the Pulse Dive, I would be surprised.  

But NM is always surprising us with the great technical innovation with its detecting equipment.  So I never say never...

Not trying to rain on the hopes for SunRay like capabilities, just keeping it real.

Maybe Dilek can chime in here at the appropriate time to give us a better idea where NM is headed in this regard with their integrated Legend BT  pinpointer development and planned features.

I've had SunRay probes before when I had my Etrac and later F75 (was a bit of a failure on the F75 IMHO).  Where the SunRay probes shine is on the machines with good audio intel like the Minelab FBS machines. 

Yes the SunRay probes required motion in the presence of the target to work, but I don't think most folks were as concerned about looking at a TID# as much as they were focused on the tones.   You could make it a static non-motion AM metal probe (like a standard hand held pinpointer), but that was dependent on the metal detector and switching to an static AM mode (which was super useful in some scenarios like trying to dig a target out of heavy roots where movement of the probe may be limited). 

The SunRay probes were in effect a small inline coil, nothing magic about them, but they were great on the right machine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cal_Cobra said:

and later F75 (was a bit of a failure on the F75 IMHO

That was my only SunRay experience, so…

You could make it a static non-motion AM metal probe (like a standard hand held pinpointer), but that was dependent on the metal detector and switching to an static AM mode (which was super useful in some scenarios like trying to dig a target out of heavy roots where movement of the probe may be limited). 

I think that’s how Quest and Minelab approached it with their ferrous tone pinpointers.

The SunRay probes were in effect a small inline coil, nothing magic about them, but they were great on the right machine.

Nothing magic, agreed, but throwing in “wireless” in the context of a small inline coil ratchets up the “magic” (i.e., complexity) a bit. I was just pointing out the various options from the complex but capable wireless SunRay “home run” to the useful Quest “RBI Double” to the good Bluetooth Pulse Dive variant “Bunt squeeze play”.  They’re all a mixed bag when it comes to balancing cost, complexity, performance, and usability.  :smile:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

That was my only SunRay experience, so…

I think that’s how Quest and Minelab approached it with their ferrous tone pinpointers.

Nothing magic, agreed, but throwing in “wireless” in the context of a small inline coil ratchets up the “magic” (i.e., complexity) a bit. I was just pointing out the various options from the complex but capable wireless SunRay “home run” to the useful Quest “RBI Double” to the good Bluetooth Pulse Dive variant “Bunt squeeze play”.  They’re all a mixed bag when it comes to balancing cost, complexity, performance, and usability.  :smile:

All good points Chase.

The great thing about the folks at Nokta Makro is that they listen to their customers, if we can think outside the box to help them innovate, they may just build it 👍

What I wouldn't give for a wireless inline probe that functions like a SunRay probe on the Legend [or EQX] 😁

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

All good points Chase.

The great thing about the folks at Nokta Makro is that they listen to their customers, if we can think outside the box to help them innovate, they may just build it 👍

What I wouldn't give for a wireless inline probe that functions like a SunRay probe on the Legend [or EQX] 😁

Agreed.  And don’t get me wrong, I would be thrilled to death if NM surprised us and came out with a a wireless probe akin to or better than a SunRay implementation.  They have demonstrated some capable technical chops so it’s not outside the realm of possibility.  I honestly thought that’s where XP was headed before they introduced their wireless pinpointer.  I was disappointed in what could have been (which makes me a wary realist) but it is still my favorite pinpointer, even if it is merely a wireless pulse induction proximity probe with programmable sensitivity and customizable audio.  It is very sensitive and integrates well with Deus/Deus 2.  If NM simply emulates that functionality for Legend, it would be a win.

On 3/16/2022 at 6:15 PM, Cal_Cobra said:

Now that would be simply amazing!