Broke 7000 From X Coil.!!!

Mick

I heard from the guy running Detech USA about another guy killing the front end of his 7000 by connecting an unsupported coil. Why wouldn’t Minelab be willing to fix it if you pay them? He was in the same boat and I don’t get it.  But I’d like to buy or trade for a 7000 in such condition - only way I’d ever get acquire one for sure and I’d enjoy the challenge of trying to repair it as long as I don’t have too much into it. I fixed a GP Extreme like this. Took me months and had help from great guys in Australia.

This issue has been covered to death on this forum and others.  It resulted in some hard feelings and personal insults.   The problem is your patch lead.  From experience it's a loose wire at the solder joint.  The blue wire is very thin and too much heat crystallizes the wire and it breaks.  The Minelab wires have a varnish coat that tends to repel the solder, you really have to work at removing the varnish before you solder.  Contact Phrunt from this forum, he can put you in the right direction.  

• Like 3

Well mr condor I’ve only just joined this group so I wouldn’t know what’s been discussed in the past. Bought a new one an tried the new coil on old machine. Same result won’t recognise the coil is connected.  My ask here can it be fixed.??? Sent it to mine lab they didn’t won’t to know it told me to buy the slide on bit for $6k. Cheers 

Hello Mick, Bugger, sorry to hear you've got this problem, Where did you get your adapter from, its pretty risky to make your own adapter.  It's not the coil that damages the detector its a badly wired adapter or adapter failure that causes it.

There is a big risk making your own adapter as you can damage your detector if you make it incorrectly.  Minelab have repaired them in the past for people but of course you have to pay for the repair, perhaps try to speak to someone else at Minelab and see if they'll repair it for you.  

A badly wired adapter can cause a short which blows the PCB in the detector, if a genuine coil with no modification doesn't work on the detector after trying using this bad adapter this is what's happened, sometimes the damage is just the adapters chip is blown and the detector works fine with an original coil, other times it can be the detector that is damaged.

Is this one below yours?  A guy recently made his own with the same name as you but I've not seen him say he has a problem with it.

1333170563_mickbinns.jpg.43b68be5e9b256b95450416997dcb58a.jpg

Unfortunately if it is yours quite a few people at the time suggested to you that making the adapter yourself isn't easy and can go wrong easily if done incorrectly.  It was suggested Dave Gibb the guy making adapters for everyone in Australia to make one instead of doing it yourself.  It just takes the varnished wires not to adhere to the solder correctly or the small blue ground wire to weaken from overheated solder to break and you can be in trouble.  The X-coils guys stopping giving out the instructions on how to make adapters over a year ago now to prevent people making their own but unfortunately the instructions are still floating around for people to get their hands on, they'll only give them to someone that insists on making their own if they say they're a technician and warn them of the risks.

• Like 3

Minelab can fix it, but it will cost you plenty.  The original quote in Au dollars was $2800 from 3 years ago.  Here in the US it was over $4k and a 1 year guarantee.   You're going to need a few more of those big nuggets, I feel your pain, been there done that.

• Like 2

The best thing to do is try plug in an unmodified coil, like the original 14" coil if your adapter was made from the 19" coil and see if the detector recognizes the coil, if not it's not good news unfortunately, it's the detector that is damaged, if it works that's great, your adapter is just the problem.  I have my fingers crossed for you it's just the adapter, sometimes they can be repaired, other times the chip inside the adapter is damaged as the short blows the electronics inside the little chip.

• Like 2

Cheers for the replies. Had the patch lead made professionally same bloke has done quite a few of my mates as well. I must have just got a bad one. Ah well looks like I’ve got some spare parts for the new one. Happy detecting everyone.!!! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mick said:

Cheers for the replies. Had the patch lead made professionally same bloke has done quite a few of my mates as well. I must have just got a bad one. Ah well looks like I’ve got some spare parts for the new one. Happy detecting everyone.!!! 

Thanks Mick, if you could let us know the guys details (in a private message so you're not posting his phone number up publicly or something) that made your adapter I'll pass it onto X-coils so they can follow up with him about it, you could also send your adapter to David Gibb to be inspected and see what went wrong.  It's never good news when something like this happens to someone so they do all they can to prevent it happening.

Dave Gibb is only $200 Australian dollars including return shipping to make an adapter, I think people are crazy not to take that option.  He's made a huge amount of adapters now without a problem.  I'd not be surprised if he's over 100 adapters now.

• Like 6