Broke 7000 From X Coil.!!!

Mick

Not sure how tall you are, but if you repeatedly extend and retract the shaft fully when it's hot out (like 100F with direct sun), that seems to be when mine have failed. The heat softens the hot glue, tape, and shrink tubing just slightly that after enough cycles it eventually gets enough stress to snap that little blue wire. It only takes a little bit of movement to snap it.

Luckily in both my cases, the hot glue kept the wire in place so no shorts occured, and I hope yours is the same!

I think if I made another adapter I might try to see if I can make the blue wire slightly longer than the other wires so it's the last to experience any tension, if that is possible. 

• Like 4

Yes Jason, that's the reason I wanted the guys details that made the adapter for him and his mates to pass onto X-coils so they can contact the guy with the information he needs, he must not be making them correctly as the glue should prevent the wires touching one another, for damage to occur as you know this has to happen that a TX wire touches a ground for example, if a solder joint fails or a wire breaks (blue wire) possibly from overheating during soldering and the glues are in place the wires are extremely unlikely to be able to touch each other causing the short so all that happens is you get a coil error and have to repair/replace your adapter.  In this case it sounds like the guy has damaged his detector and if that's what has happened his friend that made the adapters is doing it wrong so his other friends detectors that had their adapter made by the same guy are at risk of the same thing happening.  It'd be wise they sent their adapters off to David Gibb to be checked and remade to prevent further issues and hopefully all that's wrong with Mick's is his adapter has failed, not the detector itself.

On 3/17/2022 at 1:55 PM, Mick said:

Well mr condor I’ve only just joined this group so I wouldn’t know what’s been discussed in the past. Bought a new one an tried the new coil on old machine. Same result won’t recognise the coil is connected.  My ask here can it be fixed.??? Sent it to mine lab they didn’t won’t to know it told me to buy the slide on bit for $6k. Cheers 

Hi Mick,

Just wanted to clarify what was said earlier. There was a lot of turmoil on this forum over xcoil, lots postive, but also some hard feelings over what was perceived as information about coil related machine failures being suppressed. Condor still smarts a little over it as he took it in the shorts pretty bad on a patch failure while on an expensive trip to Australia. Long story short the people doing the patch cables generally will not back them, and Minelab certainly will not back a machine failure resulting from a patch failure. The patch can fail immediately, or any time down the road from wear and tear. Minelab can repair the machine, but its not cheap, basically an entire control board replacement.

Nice gold!! :smile:

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

No, the adapter only allows GPZ X-coils to work on the GPZ, GPX coils are very different and will never work on the GPZ.

Mick's situation is a strange one as X-coils tried to find who he could be to contact him to help resolve his problem and to find out about who made his adapter to contact them and provide them with proper instruction and his name isn't one they've sold a coil to, the only Mick or Michael that owns an X-coil that is known of bought it second hand as they've never sold a coil to anyone with that name.  The guy with one is the guy that made his own adapter who is still using his GPZ fine now so it wasn't him so unless this Mick is someone that bought a second hand coil too it doesn't really make sense.  He joined the forum March 18 to do that post, and never returned after March 19.   I asked him to provide me information privately on private message so I could help follow it up, he never responded to me even though he was on the forum on the 19th after I asked for that so he read my request.

A bit of a puzzle indeed but obviously didn't want help sorting out the problem in any way.

• Like 2

That’s the potential pitfall with second hand coils now coming onto the market, people who have no knowledge in the subject are buying used coils with adapters and have no background idea of the risks associated with constantly extending the shafts and also the very big risks if the adapter is a home made one that has not been made properly. I’m now seeing a lot of well used GPZ7000 mid shafts coming out well past the lock point on the upper cam lock essentially extending the shaft length by 1 to 2 inches (locating lock tab on the mid shaft pulls past the first cam lock tab (there are two silver pins)), that extra few inches will definitely put a lot of stress on an adapter that has been well used previously on a unworn GPZ. 

I’m now seeing a lot of X coils coming up for sale on FB pages since supply has been cut off due to the war and the release of the GPX6000, some coils can start to wear out internally through constant use, especially things like shielding etc, internal wear is not a major issue other than elevated noise like touch sensitivity ect but incorrectly made adapters could be catastrophic especially if the mid shaft is worn. 

JP

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

like all coils things start to wear out internally through constant use, especially things like shielding etc., internal wear is not a major issue other than elevated noise like touch sensitivity etc.

Hi JP, How do the internals, like the shielding & windings, of a coil wear when they are not exposed or come in to contact with anything due to being inside the coil housing that takes the abuse on the outside? Hence skid plates being replaceable as they wear out.

Thanks

D4G 

2 minutes ago, dig4gold said:

Hi JP, How do the internals, like the shielding & windings, of a coil wear when they are not exposed or come in to contact with anything due to being inside the coil housing that takes the abuse on the outside? Hence skid plates being replaceable as they wear out.

Thanks

D4G 

It all depends on the construction method.  If the shielding is paper then that can move around and eventually become chaffed through micro movement. Traditional ML monoloop vaccume formed foam sandwich style coils used on the GPX5000 are a good example, the shield paper top and bottom between the plastics and the foam holding the windings will rub and eventually the shielding will fail.  I'm not sure if this method is currently used on any GPZ coils but it has been one of the main reason for coils becoming noisy in the past.

JP

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank JP for your reply.

Since the GPX 5000 is a long way down the track from the earlier SD, GP & GPX models & these model coils also suffered from becoming noisy & touch sensitive over time, & I guess the reason is from what you have just described. Wouldn't you think Minelab would have improved & eliminated this problem internally in the coils as they became aware of it? Are the 6000 coils potentially going to suffer the same fait? 

Thanks.

D4G