Broke 7000 From X Coil.!!!

Mick

Coils become touch sensitive and mineralization/EMI sensitive over time almost precisely to what JP said... both the shielding and screen wire becomes brittle and wears thin just from vibration. Heat tends to shrink the foam formers also, leading to cracks which in turn, breaks the shielding. 

3 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

The ML 6000 coils are built totally differently so should have much better longevity  

My friend just had to send his 11" 6000 coil in due to extreme touch sensitivity developing. On my last trip out I too started to notice it happening to my 11" too, but not so bad I can't use it.

Not sure if outlier cases or what, haven't seen any other people post about it happening to them.

1 hour ago, jasong said:

My friend just had to send his 11" 6000 coil in due to extreme touch sensitivity developing. On my last trip out I too started to notice it happening to my 11" too, but not so bad I can't use it.

Not sure if outlier cases or what, haven't seen any other people post about it happening to them.

sometimes, less-than-ideal quality coax is used by manufacturers where the individual strands break inside the sheath near the inlet, creating touchy noises....these increase until it becomes utterly unstable and unusable. As a test, leave the 1st few inches of coax in a loop and then heavily tape the next few inches onto the lower stem. Then start tapping the coil and rubbing your hand up and down the stem, see if that upsets the audio or stays stable. If its within the coil itself and not the coax cable, then its a manufacturing fault. 

The problem with most business it is the $$$$Dollar$$$$ factor that comes into play. It is more profitable to reduce costs than to increases costs that the buyer has to pay than improve the product slightly. 🤑 

12 hours ago, geof_junk said:

The problem with most business it is the $$$$Dollar$$$$ factor that comes into play. It is more profitable to reduce costs than to increases costs that the buyer has to pay than improve the product slightly. 🤑 

That's not good enough when the 6000 is already an expensive detector here in New Zealand. NZ$9k

At least the warranty still stands for those getting problems from their coils. Mine still seem ok 6 months down the track.

D4G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2022 at 6:26 PM, jasong said:

My 17” 6000 coil is touch sensitive, it was amazing at first running very stable then one day it was touchy. I tried different ways of wrapping the coil wire and it seemed to help at first but now it’s worse and last time out I couldn’t use it every time the coil even gently touched the ground it would sound off, no problem with the other two.

Thankfully, the adapter for my 10"  Xcoil has held up.  Then again, I over design and reinforce everything, extra.  The key is to use that strain relief clamp on the connector.  If you do not use this correctly, you will be pulling on the wires and the glue.  My only issues which I have noted in other links is:

1)  rare ground (in AZ) that renders balance impossible

2)  the problematic coil cable that comes unraveled if you run your shaft fully extended in the heat (as I do).  The coil is not wound nearly as tight as the Minelab coil.  You will have to pull it through the shaft with a string.

These are really my only complaints.  I still use this coil actively, and it will get smaller deeper gold than my 14x13.   So it remains a useful tool in my toolbox.

Andyy

On 3/17/2022 at 9:45 PM, Mick said:

Definitely work when working....

72E2BB46-4716-4742-A986-571586C5ECD8.jpeg

BA0EC603-C185-4D60-AC53-98E586206E89.jpeg

Today 26/4/22

E4BEFD95-BFE8-4240-A2D6-9A4AC954909A.jpeg

63DAE86C-6332-4E67-8205-9C933386A418.jpeg

40C95B9C-0D05-4CA9-85B4-DC8489737951.jpeg

D4AECF93-9643-4A15-B38D-603B7A7D35CF.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Oh my! 2