Military Site Relic Hunt With The XP Deus 2

22 minutes ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Another great video.  Love the live digs.   Love the Great Coat button @ 4:07.

Question for you : In retrospect, could your Equinox or Deus 1 have gotten those signals ?

Thanks Tom

I feel the Equinox probably could have found most of those targets. Although I have hunted over these same spots with the Equinox multiple times. Now did I miss them due to a better performing Deus 2 or did I just not swing over that particular spot with the Equinox in the past? Who knows.

The Deus 1 I doubt it, the targets were too deep and I lose most coin sized stuff at about 6" with the Deus 1. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Very cool finds and that eagle button is gorgeous, well done!

Thanks. Yea the Great Coat Button is one of my favorite military buttons.

1 hour ago, abenson said:

.... Now did I miss them due to a better performing Deus 2 or did I just not swing over that particular spot with the Equinox in the past? Who knows.

This is why it's beneficial to have a buddy system, where each of them flags signals with competing machines.  Then makes their evaluations , and then ..... see the results.   And will be honestly asking themselves "... Would I have heard that if it hadn't been pointed out to me ?"

• Like 3

One time I had a dealer telling me that a certain machine was going to utterly kick-butt in the turf.  So he & I agreed to meet up in a certain park that ....... for the right ear and skill ..... was known to still have some deepie silver and wheaties. 

We met up and began to compare flagged signals.   And I noticed that each time I showed him a signal (that I suspected to be a potential deep silver or wheatie hiding in the junk), he's concur :  "Yup, I hear it loud and clear", etc...   So at first, I was impressed.  

But as the morning wore on, I began to notice that he had not shown me any signals, so far, that were turning out to be deep coins.  He'd flag an occasional clad or pulltab or whatever.   So I began to suspect that he was merely concurring with whatever I pointed out to him, and merely repeating my evaluation. 

In other words, it's VERY EASY to be shown a flagged spot, and THEN to hear something.  And if someone else (who has a reputation for finding deep silver in junky parks) says "This sounds good", then it's VERY EASY to subconsciously amp up the evaluation in-your-mind, and simply agree :  "Yes I hear it, and yes I would have dug that, and yes it sounds like such & such". 

Heck, the guy would even un-plug his headphones, show me the same signal, and I couldn't deny that, yes, it was giving a beep on the spots (maybe even a nice loud beep !).

But then I noticed that the moment he moved off yonder in any other direction, he'd get the same exact beeps elsewhere, with no tell-tale difference.   Hence not a good cherry picking machine.

So I played a little trick on him:  I purposefully chose a shallow zinc penny or tab or a one-way-nail-false, and called him over. I painted a rosy picture that I thought it was going to be a super deep wheatie or silver.   And sure as heck, he agreed with my assessment word-for-word.

The point being : You have to have 2 persons who can *honestly* (without subconscious bias) be asking themselves :  "Would I have truly heard this on my own".    Needless to say, I never went out tech.-comparing with that dealer again .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

How severe is the dirt at that site?

29 minutes ago, JCR said:

How severe is the dirt at that site?

3 bars on the F75 so moderate.

• Like 2