Garrett Atx Query

Hi guys, I'm from Argentina. I detect in the Andes mountain range, bordering Chile, I currently have an XP ORX elliptical coil, I got a lot of superficial gold up to 15-20 cm, but I want to go a little deeper, I don't have extreme mineralization, it's intermediate and maybe some hot rocks. Returning to the subject, there are not many options for pi detectors here in Argentina, minelab with astronomical prices, garrett atx and some other used TDI. no minelab used here, only new gpx 6000 and gpz7000 available.
if i choose the garrett atx will i gain depth compared to the xp orx with elliptical coil? or is it preferable to acquire a 9" hf coil and continue playing with VLF?

In low mineral ground there is not as much need for a PI. The worse the ground and hot rocks get, then more benefit you will get from a PI. The ATX is roughly equivalent to the old Minelab SD2200 series in operation performance, though with far fewer coil options. But it can still be a big step up from a VLF in bad ground, in particular ground with large nuggets.

Here is what I think is a pretty solid comparison I did with a Garrett ATX and GPX 5000 on a large nugget in iron mineralized soil. I use a Minelab personally, but the ATX can provide a near alternative at perhaps a more affordable price. If I had bad ground and hot rocks, I'd have no problem with the ATX myself, if it was all I could afford locally. It's either that, or a used White's TDI, but I'd go ATX over TDI any day.

• Like 2

thanks Steve for your prompt response, I had seen that video the atx goes deep enough I don't think the xp will detect at that depth either in soil with low mineralization and less with high mineralization, I found a 16.5gr nugget but at 25cm no longer It is detected by my elliptical xp orx, maybe I am losing thick gold between 30 and 40cm

22 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

En suelos bajos en minerales no hay tanta necesidad de un PI. Cuanto peor se pongan el suelo y las rocas calientes, más beneficio obtendrá de un PI. El ATX es aproximadamente equivalente a la antigua serie Minelab SD2200 en cuanto a rendimiento operativo, aunque con muchas menos opciones de bobina. Pero aún puede ser un gran paso adelante de un VLF en terrenos malos, en particular terrenos con pepitas grandes.

Esto es lo que creo que es una comparación bastante sólida que hice con un Garrett ATX y GPX 5000 en una gran pepita en suelo mineralizado de hierro. Personalmente, uso un Minelab, pero el ATX puede proporcionar una alternativa cercana a un precio quizás más asequible. Si tuviera mala tierra y rocas calientes, no tendría ningún problema con el ATX, si fuera todo lo que pudiera pagar localmente. Es eso, o un TDI de White usado, pero preferiría ATX a TDI cualquier día.

thanks Steve for your prompt response, I had seen that video the atx goes deep enough I don't think the xp will detect at that depth either in soil with low mineralization and less with high mineralization, I found a 16.5gr nugget but at 25cm no longer It is detected by my elliptical xp orx, maybe I am losing thick gold between 30 and 40cm

IMG-20220312-WA0007.jpeg

• Like 8

If your importation fees are not high (Argentina customs taxes or duties) then buying a used Minelab GP or SD2200 from Australia or USA might be a better option.Huge range of cheap coils on the used market also