Meadview Az Back To Montana

Nice report Reese. It was good meeting you down in Gold Basin. Hope to see you again. Enjoyed reading your book too.

• Like 1

Got one nugget today and I paid a painful price for it. Pulled dirt out and off of the bedrock where the nugget was resting and pulled the dirt back with my hands right into prickly pear. Damn that hurt. Went in around a quarter inch and a little piece broke off inside my finger. Then after that I moved my pick to my left side and put the same hand in another prickly pear to my left side. I really hate prickly pear. Yesterday one went right through my knee pads and got me.

IMG_20220401_122214968.jpg

IMG_20220401_122324835.jpg

• Sad 2
  • Oh my! 4

Watched two people share a cholla ball between each other like a game of toss one time- the gal was yelling and her friend pulled it off with two sticks and flung it onto his arm. She pulled it off and got it back!  Hope those spines work out, Ive had to throw out light hikers that had a bunch through the soles.

• Haha 2

They were a big problem in Australia.

A good read.

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/55301/prickly-pear-story.pdf

I must admit they are delicious and one of my best liked exotic fruit 

Prickly pear, cactus pear, tuna fruit, opuntia, nopal. They come mainly in two different colors, purple and green. Cactus fruit or prickly pear is very nutritious, it is high in fiber, vitamin c, antioxidants, and other healthy vitamins and minerals.

• Like 2

Nice to know that geof_junk, my luck, I would miss a small spine and it would get stuck in the roof of my mouth 😆. I always wondered if Australia had cactus. Prickly Pear in Australia?!, man, that stuff is everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The green part is ok, but the red part that flowers grow out of in spring is way tasty. It actually tastes a bit like pear to me. But like with blood red orange Sanpelligrino soda and apple flavors too. Hard to pin down, but slightly familiar and good.

The small ones in the Rockies are way more flavorful than the big ones in Arizona, I think.

As you guessed, they leave tiny almost invisible microspines in your tongue (and fingers) though if you don't remove the skin entirely. 

• Like 2

One thing to try is burning off the spines in a fire- that’s how some Native Americans prepared the pads and fruit for eating them. But I can’t believe how desert tortoises can eat those without getting thrown off by the spines in their mouths and throats- Ive seen several wild ones munching on pads as well.  And captive tortoises do the same with the fruit, so it isn’t for the lack of water, they just really love the stuff even if it has spines!

We ‘modern’ humans are so fragile! 😉

• Haha 1